Clear Undercoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spent some time today talking with both R1Concepts and our area Ford dealership and from what I have been told, the Raptors utilize the same braking systems as the regular F-150's. So, this means that anyone wanting to find out what is available for their trucks would simply look in the R1Concepts online catalog for the same year model F150 to find the right parts for your Raptor.

That being said, over the next few days or so I will be adding information about the different products available from R1Concepts in my Vendor Forum section so that members can learn more about what they offer overall.

Anyone wanting to get to their catalog can simply click the link in my signature.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

One more thing, I have also talked to Amsoil today about the obtaining more technical data about the MPHD and I am waiting for their tech department to get back with me about that. As soon as I hear back from them I will post what I found.

Thanks for your patience.

That's great. Sounds like we have lots of good info coming.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, after talking with Amsoil about the technical information for the MPHD, my contact got back with me this morning and I have quoted their response below. One thing to keep in mind though, Amsoil is constantly adjusting the formulas of their products to improve them so his response makes sense. That being said, I will be posting a thread in my section with as much information as possible to help members out.

Chris,

I had a chance late last night before the end of day to talk to my manager who deals with this product and found out some information for you. The reason we have no other data, testing etc. provided is that that this product has undergone multiple revisions in formulary changes throughout the years. We used to have the type of data being requested, but it is over 15 years old and severely outdated – we don’t even have access to the information any longer and why nothing has been added. I did find out, however, that we are presently looking at reformulating all of our aerosol products, so hopefully down the road with up to date formulas and testing, we can provide some more specific data. I wish I had better news, so we will just have to see what happens down the road essentially.

Take care,

Shane J. Comstock
Technical Services

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it just seems odd that the company doesnt have any recorded tests at all.

I feel your pain, our dealer "group" have been attempting to get more testing and comparison results from them on several other products for years. SOME of what they base it on is the overall size of the competitor's company's market share. IF the competing company is small and has less market share, Amsoil doesn't want to SEEM as if they are picking on the little guys. At least that is the reason we received when asking about comparison studies comparing their diesel oils against other oil company's offerings. It is definitely frustrating, especially for a dealer hoping to help keep consumers better informed, etc.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having done my Dodge Ram with Amsoil a few weeks ago, I did my Raptor with the Amsoil this past weekend. I am going to post what I did in an effort to help anyone. Keep in mind, it's not the only way to do it, it's just the way I did it. I am sure the process can be tweaked.

What you need:

6 Cans Amsoil
Spray paint handle (Home Depo) Picture Below
Glasses
Mask
3 Hours at a slow pace

Get the Cans Ready

You need to have Two cans to start with. (1st Picture) One with the straw in it and one without. This way they are ready when you need them.

Get the handle in picture 2, you get so much more control over the can and zero hand fatigue. It's at Home Depo in the spray paint section. This made a big difference when in such an awkward position spraying.

The straw can is more precise and controlled, no overspray. You can also get into tite far away spots. If left for too long the straw will jam but if you are doing your Raptor you need 5 cans, so you will have extra straws.

The non straw is a wide blast with allot of coverage and you get allot of over spray back at you when it hits the intended target. The can shoots it out with a good amount of force. I recommend the mask HIGHLEY, the filters on mine had to be thrown out, look at the pictures ( 3 & 4).

The Road Map

So what I did was break the truck into sections. I split the truck into 7 sections in my mind. It's easier to do a small section perfect and you are not rushing because all you have to do is that one section, perfect. It's also more organized, you are following a plan, almost like a walk around of the truck.

1 Engine
2,3,4 Front Right, Mid Right, Rear Right.
5,6,7 Front left, Mid Left, Rear Left

Before you start:

Take a good look at the entire underside of the truck, so you know what you are up against, many spots are rusting already, so you know you have to get these better than the rest. Look at the lay out and shapes of what you will be spraying, get familiar with it. It's a big help to have seen it before because when you are working upside down on your back most of the time it's not a comfortable position.

Keep in mind allot of parts that have to be sprayed, have to be done at different angles to get the entre part. Think of a 2x4 being your frame, get on your back to spray it, you have 4 sides to get. One side will be easy, it's the outer one, the inner one will be harder, the bottom is easy, the top one is a bitch because you cannot get the can that high so you will be spraying almost parallel across the top of the piece.

There are many places that have to be sprayed on top like that. So I am not just talking about spraying the under carriage, I am talking about spraying everything you can at every angle.

Start:

What I did was start with the Straw Can to get to the hard to reach and see places. I started with the engine (1) first hitting all the bolts and other small stuff. Get your can in different angles and you will be able to coat better. Now get under the engine and you will see all bolts you hit from the top but not covered from the bottom. Don't miss the door jams and the underside of the hood and yes you will see many bolts there.

I then went around the entire car real slow in the order above hitting all bolts and small stuff and hard to reach stuff. (Some of the bolts are out of the way and can be easley missed.) In this way I know all the bolts and far areas are covered. Now when you spray the big sections you do not have to worry about the small stuff, it's going to get hit again anyway but your main focus will be big areas.

You will get drips, so glasses are a must, you will be on your back looking up most of the time. If that drip goes in your eye, you got a big problem. The drips were minimal but if you do not want that in your drive way put something under the truck, but really it's not a problem. I have cement so it will wash off one day.

Windows And Paint

I do not know how I got some over spray on my windows. Yes, windshield and all 4 sides. Not the back. No one has complained of this before, not sure if they got it or just did not notice. It is hard to see but it's there. Hot water and dawn got it off. Remember Dawn will strip your wax off, so keep that in mind. I did not care because I did not wax yet. The Ams was not heavy at all but it was there. And if it's on the windows it may be on your car paint. So I would strip your car down after the Ams to be safe. Dawn wash, then your normal clay, wax routine. I did my 04 Ram a few weeks ago and got no over spray at all, go figure?

Again this just could be me, we get slight wind from different angles. No one else has said anything. Just keep an eye out for it.

Storing:

It has a odor so if you garage your car and its connected to the house, you may get that smell in the house. Your wife/girlfriend and kids will not like it. It most likely not healthy to breath in those fumes for 8 hrs. Having done my Dodge Ram a few weeks ago after 4 pm, gave me some experience. The Ram had a strong, strong Amsoil odor when I garaged it at night. I pulled it out of the garage because it smelled really bad. I did my Raptor early in the morning so it had time to cure and did not smell that bad at all.

Hope This Helps

What You Need.jpgHandle.jpgAmsoil over spray 1.jpgAmsoil over spray 2.jpg

Last edited:

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually covered my truck. Had a old car cover,fit pretty good but not the sides. Laid some blankets on the sides and taped them down then put the cover over the top. I know what you are saying about the over spray. My whole shop was covered in it. I have a lift so not too bad a job. Used 6 cans. May buy 2 more just for touch up. Best to remove the skid plates also. And the tires and wheels. And the spare. But I had time, and like you said plan it out in steps. Worked for me. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going to do mine out in the driveway, I have 6 cans so I will just take my time and do it in 6 sections. I was under my truck today and hit the rear axle with some rustoleum paint as it was the only spot that had any hint of rust on the truck so far. I plan on spraying the bottom of the truck tomorrow morning and cleaning all the dirt off. Then I will undercoat it later once it dries and let it sit for the day/night. Our temps are getting colder up here so I am hoping it sets up properly. I really wish I had a lift to work with, would make things much easier, but laying on my back also works :p.

Are there any spots you avoided and didn't want to coat?

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, I mean if you hit something thats going to get real hot the Ams is going to burn off. No harm done there. It seems to do no damage, except for the fact that it will be hard to get off after cure time. Not sure what it does to plastic?

But under the truck I see no problem. I'll shoot you a picture below of the rubber test.

Last edited: