Cam Phaser Horror Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
This must be an older bulletin linked, I just pulled mine out of my file, Feb 28, 2022 was the end date for having to get the 21B10 to get extended coverage on my mailer from Oct 21.
That’s interesting. I think at this point the extended coverage of 21N03 doesn’t apply to me. Which apparently doesn’t apply to anyone anymore.

Everything hinges on them not doing 21B10 in April of 2022 like they were suppose to.

This may be heading into lawyer territory unfortunately.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I think at this point the extended coverage of 21N03 doesn’t apply to me. Which apparently doesn’t apply to anyone anymore.

Everything hinges on them not doing 21B10 in April of 2022 like they were suppose to.

Well you had to get 21B10 BEFORE Feb of 2022, so the April date is moot.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
Well you had to get 21B10 BEFORE Feb of 2022, so the April date is moot.
You had to get 21B10 done before March of 22 to get the extended prorated coverage.

I am not talking about 21N03 prorated coverage, that has nothing to do with this.

The 21B10 recall was active until Aug of 22.

If the dealership would have done the active recall of 21B10 like they were suppose to in April of 22 my phasers wouldn’t have failed in November.

So them not doing an active recall has caused this. Nothing to do with 21N03 or extended coverage

They failed to do a required recall and now that part has failed.

That argument seems spot on to me?

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes correct, doesn't apply to anyone. The program is over.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You had to get 21B10 done before March of 22 to get the extended prorated coverage.

I am not talking about 21N03 prorated coverage, that has nothing to do with this.

The 21B10 recall was active until Aug of 22.

If the dealership would have done the active recall of 21B10 like they were suppose to in April of 22 my phasers wouldn’t have failed in November.

So them not doing an active recall has caused this. Nothing to do with 21N03 or extended coverage

They failed to do a required recall and now that part has failed.

That argument seems spot on to me?
I wouldn't say just because they didn't to the recall the phasers failed, there is too many moving parts to say that. However, if they didn't do it in time for the extended coverage, thats an issue, but a moot point at this time as no one has extended coverage unless you have an ESP or other type of warranty product.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
I wouldn't say just because they didn't to the recall the phasers failed, there is too many moving parts to say that. However, if they didn't do it in time for the extended coverage, thats an issue, but a moot point at this time as no one has extended coverage unless you have an ESP or other type of warranty product.
The recall was specifically to fix the phasers. It wasn’t done and the phasers failed.

I don’t think it’s a big stretch to say, since you didn’t do the recall the phasers failed.

Again maybe lawyer territory. No way in hell I’m paying them $5k if the part hasn’t been updated and the programming “does nothing”

Who’s to say it won’t happen again in about 15-20k miles.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ll bet Ford Motor Company disagrees strongly with the “programming does nothing” and I agree, it’s not a big stretch that the reprogram wasn’t done and the parts failed mere months later.

I think the stealership realizes this is a boomerang repair and they are very likely to be on the hook for it and they will do anything they can to avoid eating that $5k repair bill.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll bet Ford Motor Company disagrees strongly with the “programming does nothing” and I agree, it’s not a big stretch that the reprogram wasn’t done and the parts failed mere months later.

I think the stealership realizes this is a boomerang repair and they are very likely to be on the hook for it and they will do anything they can to avoid eating that $5k repair bill.
I'd agree with the boomerang repair. I'd guess something is off here. I think Ops argument is strong for the dealer to cover the repair.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had the updated parts installed in 2020. The dealer was negligent and didn’t complete the recall, resulting in a repeat failure on the new parts. It’s a direct correlation, it would be ridiculous for them to even try and state otherwise. Guarantee it they were to disassemble those VCTs they’re going to show high cycle wear at the locking pin cavity threshold.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The recall was specifically to fix the phasers. It wasn’t done and the phasers failed.

I don’t think it’s a big stretch to say, since you didn’t do the recall the phasers failed.

Again maybe lawyer territory. No way in hell I’m paying them $5k if the part hasn’t been updated and the programming “does nothing”

Who’s to say it won’t happen again in about 15-20k miles.
The new hardware and software went into production 11/19; issues from then to current production 2023 models are extremely uncommon. The production and service parts are the same.

You got the new hardware but they didn’t install the new calibration. Hence the repeat issue. If they had done the recall it’s very unlikely you’d be in this situation. Make that clear to the dealer; they caused a repeat failure of the parts they installed due to their negligence.

FYI - The discrepancy in the dates for 21B10 is due to an extension in the program. It was originally supposed to expire Feb 2022 but it was extended to July 2022.