Cam Phaser Horror Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My mistake, I had my dates mixed up.

FSA 21N03 Extends (ed, past tense now) coverage of engine cam phasers until January 1, 2023. PROVIDED program 21B10 occurs (ed, again past tense) on or before December 31 2021.

So the whole cam phaser extended coverage program is done!! Ford gave 1 year coverage AFTER pcm program update was done.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
My mistake, I had my dates mixed up.

FSA 21N03 Extends (ed, past tense now) coverage of engine cam phasers until January 1, 2023. PROVIDED program 21B10 occurs (ed, again past tense) on or before December 31 2021.

So the whole cam phaser extended coverage program is done!! Ford gave 1 year coverage AFTER pcm program update was done.

Wow that does kind of change my argument.

So my argument now is, since the dealership didn’t do the active recall in April of 2022 my phasers have failed.

Doesn’t matter about my mileage.

This is getting real dicy and my high hopes are fading.

This almost is starting to change my opinion of Ford. If you know there is a failure you should fix it.

That’s how you keep customers, very unfortunate.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the odd thing but maybe I was confused as I swear it was done at 31k. I have a buddy that used to work for Ford who may help me or maybe my next oil change I will go into Ford and have them look it up. Should I uninstall my Cobb stage 1 or do they care? Don’t want to mess up what’s remaining on my 5/60 and give them an excuse to deny something.
They flashed it right over my Cobb Stage 1 tune. It didn’t hurt anything, but they did ask me after if it had a tune and said it might shift funky for a little bit. They recommended that I unload and reload the tune just for good measure, which I did, also was uneventful, and seemed to make no difference. Everything has been fine for a while.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not always the diesels. My 7.3 can barley pass a prius. I ain't racing nobody in it.

Wow that does kind of change my argument.

So my argument now is, since the dealership didn’t do the active recall in April of 2022 my phasers have failed.

Doesn’t matter about my mileage.

This is getting real dicy and my high hopes are fading.

This almost is starting to change my opinion of Ford. If you know there is a failure you should fix it.

That’s how you keep customers, very unfortunate.
Reprogram had to happen on or before December 31st 2021. By April 2022 you were shit-out-of-luck if it hadn't been done. By that time it wouldn't even shown up on Oasis to perform the programming I believe. By January 1 2022 Ford knew exactly how many cam phasers they could potentially need to replace.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When did your phaser noise start? 21B10 was software to "stop the bleeding" so to say and hopefully extend the service life of the phasers. If you had the noise, new hardware is needed. You can only solve so much with software if the hardware doesn't meet long term durability life. This was fixed in the newer versions of hardware. Wether Ford has really corrected it all over time has yet to be seen if a bunch of trucks need phasers again. Hopefully the answer is no. My guess is the dealer saying "the software really doesn't do anything" is because they have likely seen it not prevent the issue/concern.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
Reprogram had to happen on or before December 31st 2021. By April 2022 you were shit-out-of-luck if it hadn't been done. By that time it wouldn't even shown up on Oasis to perform the programming I believe. By January 1 2022 Ford knew exactly how many cam phasers they could potentially need to replace.
That’s not my understanding.

21B10 ran from July 15th 2021 until July 31st 2022.

The customer needed to have 21B10 done on or prior to dec 31st 2022 to receive the extended prorated coverage under 21N03

But my argument still stands that 21B10 was active in April of 2022 and my phasers failed in Nov of 2022 because they didn’t do a required recall.

Which has nothing to do with the extended coverage of 21N03

The dealership confirmed it was active and they didn’t do it in April of 2022.
When did your phaser noise start? 21B10 was software to "stop the bleeding" so to say and hopefully extend the service life of the phasers. If you had the noise, new hardware is needed. You can only solve so much with software if the hardware doesn't meet long term durability life. This was fixed in the newer versions of hardware. Wether Ford has really corrected it all over time has yet to be seen if a bunch of trucks need phasers again. Hopefully the answer is no. My guess is the dealer saying "the software really doesn't do anything" is because they have likely seen it not prevent the issue/concern.

The hardware has not been updated since 2019. I got the part number ending in cd in April of 2020 and the dealership confirmed that has not changed since.

So in summery, if the hardware hasn’t been updated since my 2020 repair and the programming “does nothing” then wtf are we doing?

Paying $5k every 20k miles?

Last edited:

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not my understanding.

21B10 ran from July 15th 2021 until July 31st 2022.

The customer needed to have 21B10 done on or prior to dec 31st 2022 to receive the extended prorated coverage under 21N08

But my argument still stands that 21B10 was active in April of 2022 and my phasers failed in Nov of 2022 because they didn’t do a required recall.

Which has nothing to do with the extended coverage of 21N08

The dealership confirmed it was active and they didn’t do it in April of 2022.

The hardware has not been updated since 2019. I got the part number ending in cd in April of 2020 and the dealership confirmed that has not changed since.
This must be an older bulletin linked, I just pulled mine out of my file, Feb 28, 2022 was the end date for having to get the 21B10 to get extended coverage on my mailer from Oct 21.