Cam Phaser Horror Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne calls the programming 21B10 a recall. If that is the case (I have no reason to doubt him) then it isn't up to the dealer to decide if they want to do it or not. They are being told to do it by FOMOCO.

I can tell you one thing for sure the programing does do with out a doubt. It gets you the extended coverage on the phasers. Just last week I had a 2018 expedition in my shop with the phaser noise, with only 52,000 miles. I can run OASIS and check. So I told the customer to give me a couple minutes and that I believed that the dealer would cover the repair. NOPE, the programing HAS to be done first AND it had to be done on or before JAN 1st 2023 or the phaser warranty program that is valid until end of this year is VOID. Well sure enough the customer never had the programing done so his VIN has been removed from the phaser program and it DOES NOT show up on OASIS for he expedition anymore.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
@FordTechOne calls the programming 21B10 a recall. If that is the case (I have no reason to doubt him) then it isn't up to the dealer to decide if they want to do it or not. They are being told to do it by FOMOCO.

I can tell you one thing for sure the programing does do with out a doubt. It gets you the extended coverage on the phasers. Just last week I had a 2018 expedition in my shop with the phaser noise, with only 52,000 miles. I can run OASIS and check. So I told the customer to give me a couple minutes and that I believed that the dealer would cover the repair. NOPE, the programing HAS to be done first AND it had to be done on or before JAN 1st 2023 or the phaser warranty program that is valid until end of this year is VOID. Well sure enough the customer never had the programing done so his VIN has been removed from the phaser program and it DOES NOT show up on OASIS for he expedition anymore.
This is my biggest fear. I have a feeling the dealership is going to do everything they can to shift the blame.

Time will tell, updates will continue until moral improves

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes me feel much better.

Thank you so much for your extensive knowledge of this truck and your willingness to respond to strangers online.

I would literally be lost without your guidance and I feel like I owe you many beers.

If you are ever in the East Tennessee area hit me up!

One last question, corrective FSA. What does FSA stand for in that instance? Ford service adviser?
Glad to help. FSA is a Field Service Action; that is the Ford term for a recall.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not at all. It’s part of the Service “Advisor” job to run a preliminary vehicle report (OASIS) which shows all recalls highlighted in yellow. They then should go through them with the customer one by one to determine which ones may apply to the customer’s vehicle and concern.

In the case of 21B10, it was corrective FSA with extended warranty coverage, so by default the dealer should have completed it.
My dealer did it without even asking me during a routine oil change. They said it was a recall and not optional.

Nolo0125

Reaction score
My dealer did it without even asking me during a routine oil change. They said it was a recall and not optional.
That’s the odd thing but maybe I was confused as I swear it was done at 31k. I have a buddy that used to work for Ford who may help me or maybe my next oil change I will go into Ford and have them look it up. Should I uninstall my Cobb stage 1 or do they care? Don’t want to mess up what’s remaining on my 5/60 and give them an excuse to deny something.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought the extended cam phaser warranty ended in Jan 2023, even if you did have the software update done? Can anyone confirm this? I got the update done, have had the phaser rattle intermittently since 2019 or so but have been afraid to have it done. I do have an extended warranty that I'm assuming would cover this from Zeigler... but the question remains, is Ford done with replacing phasers under the extended phaser warranty that was included with the ECU update? @FordTechOne

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the extended cam phaser warranty ended in Jan 2023, even if you did have the software update done? Can anyone confirm this? I got the update done, have had the phaser rattle intermittently since 2019 or so but have been afraid to have it done. I do have an extended warranty that I'm assuming would cover this from Zeigler... but the question remains, is Ford done with replacing phasers under the extended phaser warranty that was included with the ECU update? @FordTechOne
Yes, the extended coverage (21N03) expired 1/1/2023.