Brand new Ford Raptor- Severe Salt/Corrosion Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HankTheTank

Reaction score
I came into this thread assuming there was a little bit of normal rust and that you were being overally sensitive about the issue.
But damn that actually looks pretty bad.
I just went through a New England winter and everything looks great under my truck. It looks like yours was pulled out of the ocean.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is pretty bad for a brand new truck. This truck must have been sitting in a bad spot on the carrier truck. Had to have been really blasted by salt, or possible that really bad liquid stuff they are using these days. Some of those parts do look pitted and should be replaced and I actually think Ford may be willing to do so. This happened to a bunch of the 2015s F-150s when they first came out and I know a bunch of guys on a different forum were successful in getting Ford to make it right (for example, some guys had their entire rear differential pulled, cleaned, and re-coated.)

To avoid further damage, apply Amsoil HDMP to the underside of the truck once or twice per year. It looks like crap after a while (turns yellow and collects dirt) but I'd rather have a dirty undercarriage than a rotted truck. This is, of course, typically not a problem for Texas trucks.

miula

Reaction score
If you have a pressure washer you can try to hookup a Salt-away mixing unit to the hose before it goes into the washer and then power wash the undercarriage with the salt remover solution and see if some of the rust washes off...

JSTi07

Reaction score
Wow that was not what I was expecting when I opened this thread. Mine has 600 miles and I haven't taken a hard look underneath but don think it was that bad. At around 400 miles I had my local linex who does krown rust prevention spray the truck as well.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Terrible, looks like aged Swiss cheese. I would contact the dealer directly to replace or treat the corroded areas, and see what the factory corrosion warranty would cover, which has nothing to do with performance. Its a brand new vehicle, for crying out loud.
Next step is contacting Ford directly. You just bought a $70000 plus truck, that's just unacceptable and really upsetting.

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Terrible, looks like aged Swiss cheese. I would contact the dealer directly to replace or treat the corroded areas, and see what the factory corrosion warranty would cover, which has nothing to do with performance. Its a brand new vehicle, for crying out loud.
Next step is contacting Ford directly. You just bought a $70000 plus truck, that's just unacceptable and really upsetting.

Factory corrosion only covers rust that perforates the frame. I had a similar issue with my 2015 platinum. Neither the dealer or ford would fix it or swap out the truck. I finally used the BBB arbitration program and was awarded with a msrp replacement. Its how I got my Raptor.
Tone

miula

Reaction score
Are the skid plates and front differential housing aluminum or galvanized steel?

Seems like aluminum because of the way it stains and the dark grey surface oxidation but galvanized steel can look similar at first until the zinc layer is damaged.

I ask because rust removal could get rid of the thin galvanized layer (if that's the case) and expose the underlying unprotected steel which would rust like crazy...