Brand new Ford Raptor- Severe Salt/Corrosion Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow
I hope to get a Raptor soon. I live in Kc Mo area salty roads and such but my 12 3.5 fx4 looks good. I thought the exhaust was stainless steel.

It is stainless, the hanger rods are most likely not though. The muffler wrap and pipes are 409ss. Something seems really odd with this truck...way to much corrosion.

jakeO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe something slashed up on the undercarriage during shipping or during the driving test at the plant. Aren't raptors shipped by train car. Some oils with detergents or other caustic can still effect SS. We have huge washers at the ammo plant and some of the SS barrels still show signs of corrosion.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Imagine if the Ford GT looked like this, peering from below on a lift at the local tire shop? Shameful.

its still an F-150... its not some magical unicorn like the GT is.

Im guessing GT's arent being shipped by rail, or standard open trucks.. probably coming by Reliable carriers or some other specialty shipper.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely not normal. A reminder to everyone to look under their truck before taking possession. I would have definitely passed.

82Kuba

Reaction score
I purchased my brand new Ford Raptor Friday March 31st here in Houston, TX. It had 25 miles on the odometer. The next morning I wanted to appreciate the Fox shocks and new undercarriage only to be greeted by a TON of salt damage.

I have determined this due to the salt deposits you can clearly see on parts on the pictures. I have even tasted these deposits on my tongue and have confirmed it is salt. This is unacceptable, especially for a high end vehicle that sells (and I purchased)over MSRP.

I am seeking resolution to this situation. I have not even owned the car for a full week and have just now noticed this. I understand flash rust but this is CLEARLY not flash rust, specifically when realizing the heavy salt deposits. I noticed salt even on the turbochargers and the ABS Circuit Block.

I've driven my Jeep Rubicon for 4 years in the North East (NY/NJ/CT) were salt is everywhere for 4-5 months out of he Year and my undercarriage doesn't look this bad with 73k on the clock. I park it outside too. I also have my car wash blast the undercarriage at least once a week. This has me worried about my incoming Raptor. This could be more than just road salt. Could of been flooded near salt water ?

I would be at the dealer going nuts !!

Last edited:

miula

Reaction score
Mine also has some rust issues, especially the rear differential case, CV shafts, skid plates, transmission mounts, exhaust hangers, etc. but it doesn't seem as bad as yours other than the skid plates which are definitely pitted and severely stained, I can't imagine it is a major expense to replace them down the road for esthetic reasons.

Mine was built 12/20 and I picked it up in Philly mid-january a week after it got there (sat outside in the snow for a few days) and drove it down to Miami with all the road salt, etc. I did wash the undercarriage as soon as I arrived and a couple more times thereafter.

The silver lining is the truck currently has 2300 miles on it and the rusting has not visibly worsened since it got to Miami and I washed it.

I have to spray it down with Salt-Away and hit the skid plates, differential, etc with a steel brush, scotch brite pad and some elbow grease. Then repaint the diff and skids with Rustoloum Rust-Reformer or POR 15 and coat the CV shafts, and other movable parts with Amsoil HDPD. I am just being lazy and haven't gotten around to it because it has not worsened (I think or should I say I hope) and I am too busy driving the $h!t out of it!!!

Did tell both the dealer I purchased it at and the servicing dealer here and both said it is normal and shouldn't cause any performance or safety issues other than being unpleasing to the eye (when you crawl under the truck) but it is registered on the record as a complaint just in case.

I agree it looks horrible and it is obviously concerning on a $65k plus vehicle but from my limited understanding it is not a safety or performance issue and you do have to be under the truck to see it. See if the dealership you purchased it from is willing to correct it and perhaps replace the skids, etc.

Good luck getting it resolved, keeps us posted on the progress.

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

duckhntva

Reaction score
I looked up snow history in MI for 2016...it snowed in Dearborn 3 days after your build date...about the time it would be moving around?? maybe part of the prep process is an undercarriage spray and yours was exposed to salt before the spray or something? It Has to be that it was exposed to salt in MI

which reminds me...mine is being built this week and they are having a snowstorm...great

82Kuba

Reaction score
I looked up snow history in MI for 2016...it snowed in Dearborn 3 days after your build date...about the time it would be moving around?? maybe part of the prep process is an undercarriage spray and yours was exposed to salt before the spray or something? It Has to be that it was exposed to salt in MI

which reminds me...mine is being built this week and they are having a snowstorm...great

what site/app did you use to look up snow history? off topic but i'm working on a project for work and need this info for NY/NJ