Brand new Ford Raptor- Severe Salt/Corrosion Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up snow history in MI for 2016...it snowed in Dearborn 3 days after your build date...about the time it would be moving around?? maybe part of the prep process is an undercarriage spray and yours was exposed to salt before the spray or something? It Has to be that it was exposed to salt in MI

which reminds me...mine is being built this week and they are having a snowstorm...great

We are not having a snow storm this week...weather is rainy but not below freezing. Might get a couple flurries for an hour tonight but no accumulations expected. Supposed to be around 70F this weekend...

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see car haulers all winter bringing brand new cars south through snow storms. Think of how they are hauled, some nose up- so the underside collects a ton of salt spray. If you've never drove in it, you can't rally fathom how much salt is in the spray coming off the tires. There is so much salt, you cannot run your wipers without hitting the washer fluid or it's just becomes a smear of white salt you can't see through. I've gone through a gallon of wiper fluid in less than two days back when I used to commute on the highway.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there some kind of undercoating for this?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start by googling NY/NJ snow history 2015...info available in about any format you need

weatherunderground.com, type in desired location or zip code, click on either calendar or history, enter or click on the desired day(s). It will tell you all weather details for that day, week, or month. I use it all the time as part of my job.

Krab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that looks pretty bad. My lowly '13 doesn't look nearly that bad and it's been driven through salty roads during 2 winters now. I'd be a upset, but wouldn't really know what else to do. Keep us posted.

miula

Reaction score
Yeah that looks pretty bad. My lowly '13 doesn't look nearly that bad and it's been driven through salty roads during 2 winters now. I'd be a upset, but wouldn't really know what else to do. Keep us posted.

I was definitely pissed off when I first noticed but not much to do other than try to improve it with some elbow grease and protection...

Besides, every mechanic I asked plus a friend that is a mechanical engineer said that other than the eye sore it won't affect performance, safety or longevity of the vehicle.

It is upsetting but it shouldn't have rust induced damage...

Krab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really shouldn't affect anything unless it's pitting, then you'd be talking compromising structural integrity of said part (this coming from another mechanical engineer). Might be a good idea to apply a nice layer of heavy duty grease to the under carriage to prevent it from getting worse.