Baofeng or ETekCity UV-5R programming instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) If you don't have the cable plugged in, plug it in.
2) Open CONTROL PANEL -> SYSTEM -> DEVICE MANAGER
3) Expand PORTS
4) With the USB end in the computer (radio side doesn’t matter) you should see PROLIFIC USB –TO-SERIAL blah blah. Right click and select UNINSTALL. Answer yes or ok until its gone.
5) Unplug the USB cable from the computer
6) Reboot. You cannot skip this step!
7) Download and run this file. It is an installer for an old version of the USB cable driver. Answer YES or OK at the prompts until the install completes. Note: If you are doing these steps again because they didn't work the first time, you will have to run this file TWICE. The first time will uninstall the driver and the second to reinstall it.
8) Once the driver install completes plug in the USB cable. Windows will download the updated (non-working) driver for it. You can’t prevent it so just let it happen.
9) When it finishes, go to CONTROL PANEL -> SYSTEM -> DEVICE MANAGER and expand PORTS and you should find the PROLIFIC USB... entry. Right-click it and select PROPERTIES
10) Click the DRIVER tab and you should notice the ROLL BACK DRIVER button is available. If it isn’t then you have to start over at step 1. If it is (and it should be) click it. You will be asked if you are sure. Yes, you are sure.
11) Plug in the radio side of the cable
12) Turn the radio on
13) Inside CHIRP, with the freq file open, click RADIO -> UPLOAD TO RADIO. You should see the CLONING progress bar pop up and a second or so later the light on the front of the radio will flash indicating that it is receiving the cloning.

If it doesn't work, check your connections and try the upload again. If it doesn't, start over at step 1.

Good morning,

I am having a small problem. I followed your instructions step by step on my computer at home and it always showed the roll back driver greyed out. I used my office computer and it worked fine yesterday. I was able to load your frequency file onto one of my radios. Today I tried to install them onto my other radio and now it wont work again. I have followed the steps several times and it keeps showing the roll back driver as greyed out. Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks!

Bill

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Blue Flame Baofeng. Programmed! Slacker, thanks for the Chirp file and all the instructions. I couldn't get your driver installation procedure to work on my Windows 7 64bit system. I started at step 7 as I hadn't plugged in the programming cable yet but no matter what I did (even starting at step 1) my system would never give me the "Rollback Driver" button enabled. I followed the instructions here for installing the driver and used your instructions for everything else.

Did you read this post earlier in the thread?

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you read this post earlier in the thread?

That solved the problem of programming the channels. Thank you!

Bill

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

New problem. We have two identical radios. Both have the frequencies programmed in them. If I press the talk button on radio 1 we can hear it on radio 2. But if we press the talk button on radio 2 we do not hear anything on radio 1??? We have gone through a lot of YouTube videos but can not figure anything out. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had issues with the uv-5r+ on the Ocotillo Wells trip. The other people could hear me but I could not hear them. The radio lights up with a strong receive signal but I hear no audio from the other person. The LED shows "CT" indicating that CTCSS is enabled for the weatherman channel, for instance. I think that is the cause but I can't figure out how to turn it off. It's only enabled for certain channels.

Might be something related to this, also in this thread. I think slacker re-did the chirp file. See if one of the radios has the "CT" indicator.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had very little success getting chirp to detect my radios on OSX. I connected one to my RaspberryPI and downloaded the latest version of chirp and it worked first time no issues. Both of my UV-5R+'s are now programed using the linux version of chirp with no issue.

Thanks for providing the image file!