Baofeng or ETekCity UV-5R programming instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Slacker

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And as I said... "I don't have experience with any lip mounts though"

Just trying to help a brother out...

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From Jarrods truck. If I remember correctly we ran the coax under the weather stripping under the plastic cover to the seat. Mounted his radio the same way as mine
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg

Last edited:

BGA23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instructions are great, thanks for posting.

I just picked one up and followed your write-up and everything seemed to work, it indicated cloning was successful. Problem is when I key in 153.395 (BFGPIT, #34 in memory) it takes me to 153.375. Instructions that came with it say I can't select a channel if not previously stored but it seems to me it is stored. I'm a total noob so I am sure that I am doing something wrong but what?

OP
OP
Slacker

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why. There are three options on the display for memory A and B: Name, Channel and Frequency. Which are you showing?

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you say "key in 153.395" what does that mean? Do you have the unit in VFO (frequency mode) or MR (channel mode)? You want to be in MR mode with channel names showing and use the up/down arrow keys to select the BFGPIT channel.

BGA23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say "key in 153.395" what does that mean? Do you have the unit in VFO (frequency mode) or MR (channel mode)? You want to be in MR mode with channel names showing and use the up/down arrow keys to select the BFGPIT channel.

I was in VFO mode, so I was trying to key in the numbers. I changed to MR and used arrows to scroll and found it. All good now... I think.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have to go through the driver install procedure every time you load the radios?

My computer loaded everything fine previously and then wasted about an hour of my life today when I tried to program a second radio. Nothing changed between the two programming sessions except the radio and a couple weeks of time. The computer that I used hasn't been turned on since the last programming so it wasn't an update that might have changed anything.

Just curious if this is an issue for programming radios on the go without internet access?

OP
OP
Slacker

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the driver file downloaded on my slate in case I have to reload. The issue isn't the radio, it's Windows doing you a favor and updating your driver (to one that doesn't work). If it gets updated you can actually rerun the driver file which will uninstall, then run again and reinstall without rebooting. If you have the driver file on your computer you can do all of that without internet access. I reprogrammed at least 2 radios in the Smokies 3 weeks ago without internet access and I had to reload the driver once.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got everything in a folder on the desktop in the truck computer now just in case. You inspired me to be more proactive with comms after I saw you reloading on the go. I figure it's such a simple thing to bring a laptop that it just makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.