Baofeng or ETekCity UV-5R programming instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scarrjack

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^X2. Wondering the same thing, of course the mounted setup with an antenna would be the best but if the handheld can get in the same ballpark that would be what I would do. Is there such a thing as an external antenna for a handheld?

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does everyone find these sufficient for the most part? I am thinking of going with a vehicle mounted setup but much rather go this route.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

^X2. Wondering the same thing, of course the mounted setup with an antenna would be the best but if the handheld can get in the same ballpark that would be what I would do. Is there such a thing as an external antenna for a handheld?

I've been doing a lot of searching on the forums. I think I can sum it up with...

• The mounted setup will be better for a couple/few reasons. The ICOM mounted solutions (etc.) transmit at higher power than the handhelds. This comes in to play if you want to transmit to people at greater distances. Of course, it's a more expensive solution.

The baofeng at $40 is a steal.

Yes, you can get an external antenna for the handhelds.

I think it boils down to how you think you will socialize/offroad in your truck. If you think you'll stay in tight with your froading friends/group then a handheld might work for you.

I'm no expert so (I'm sure) someone with more knowledge on these radios correct me if I'm wrong.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
5w vs 50w+ :think: Ill take more power any day. Yes you can use a lip mounted or drilled mounted antenna on a hand held. It will help but you will still only have 5w of power.
Don't hesitate to pm me if ya guys have any questions.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look what I found in my picture stash

1486634_10152133476961565_1151430554_n.jpg

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ham friend of mine
482254_10200980303058228_1623331862_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Do u just run the cable thru the door jamb?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

yea, run it down the door and bring it into the cab of the truck down low so water doesn't get in. Maybe I can get Jarrod to take some pics of how I ran it on his truck.