GEN 2 Aluminum bed floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WAIT! so you're telling me its not normal to throw bricks and tool boxes into the bed?

lol it's kind of ridiculous that they test it this way, I get they are trying to prove a point but at least do some tests that are more realistic.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone already knows GM is going aluminum too.

It would have been nice if Ford would have kept the bed bottom and sides as steel. GMs steel is thin as hell and it did perform better, even if the test is over the top. Who knows, Ford just might go back to steel inner beds some day. Lots of guys do not like the aluminum beds.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bricks test is a joke but a toolbox that would slip off bed rail and hit the bed could be possible IMO...Wouldn't like to have a hole in the bed because of that...More job for LineX I guess... :lol:

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can think of a hundred different scenarios that could potentially damage the floor without a liner or bed rug, not just the ones they're showing.

Last edited:

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the ad. At least it has a valid argument about where you should use aluminum instead of just saying aluminum BAD.

(Assuming the new aluminum Chevy won't have an aluminum bed, of course. And I assume that's going to be their marketing line when they do switch; i.e., we use aluminum where it works.)

But even if steel has better tear resistance, I still prefer the aluminum. I'm not likely to drop heavy pointy things into the truck bed, but I am perhaps likely to scratch it up moving heavy things in and out. And I'll take the trade off of rust resistance over ultimate strength.

Bed liner fixes both problems of course. Actually, I prefer a wooden bed, because I'm old school and want a truck that I can fix with an axe and a hand plane.

Back to the ad, Ford can always counter by saying that instead of doing silly stunts, they put the trucks in a friggin stone quarry for an entire friggin year without anyone friggin noticing and so GM can take their pointy little landscape blocks and shove them straight up their tailpipe.

Not that Ford is immune to the silly stunt.

p.s., that's the heaviest empty toolbox ever.

p.p.s., I wonder how many F150s GM has bought trying to figure out exactly what they can dump into it to make the most damage.

Last edited: