GEN 2 Aluminum bed floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hasnt the f150 had the aluminum bed for 2 years (2015, 2016) so far? If it was a problem there would be a shit storm all over forums about how bad the beds are. Why all of a sudden is this a problem 2 years out? I guess the Chevy marketing department is really good since its even getting to everyone on Ford forums.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bed durability in a truck should not be on a list of compromisable trade offs, that is sort of the main thing that makes a truck.

Man! You are one negative ****. Do you work for Chevy?

I am sorry but I don't treat my truck bed like this and if you do then you need help. And for the guys that do beat up their beds then I bet it's not their truck as it is a company truck.

I work hard for money and when I buy things, I take care of my things:

bed3.jpg

Last edited:

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, might be a aftermarket business to produce a flat stamped bolt in steel bed floor over the aluminum one?

Sure, there's a sucker born every minute as they say.

Anyone dumb enough to think a bed rail is a good place to stick his toolbox is dumb enough to need a helmet for his truck bed.

If I have the urge to ruin a truck load of landscape blocks, I'll buy a sheet of plywood to put down.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I am sorry but I don't treat my truck bed like this and if you do then you need help. And for the guys that do beat up their beds then I bet it not their truck as it is a company truck.

bed3.jpg

All Ford needs to do is throw in their $139 bed mat for free and every single problem is solved.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I am sorry but I don't treat my truck bed like this and if you do then you need help. And for the guys that do beat up their beds then I bet it not their truck as it is a company truck.

bed3.jpg

Lol negative, critical is more like it. And because you don't treat your truck like that doesnt mean others don't use them for rugged work or that accidents don't happen. If you've never had something slam around in your bed then you don't use it, I have a nice big dent from a highlift that broke free of its mount and there was linex, with this current bed it seems it would have torn right through.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are still a negative ****. The majority (all) of your threads about the Gen2 is negative.

I am sure you will not buy one and that's your choice .. but let your money do the talking and not your negativity. And if you do buy one .. we WILL GIVE YOU A LOT OF POO MISTER. :)

ok .. that's all I have. You can continue to give yourself a heart-attack now.

Lol negative, critical is more like it. And because you don't treat your truck like that doesnt mean others don't use them for rugged work or that accidents don't happen. If you've never had something slam around in your bed then you don't use it, I have a nice big dent from a highlift that broke free of its mount and there was linex, with this current bed it seems it would have torn right through.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are still a negative ****. The majority (all) of your threads about the Gen2 is negative.

I am sure you will not buy one and that's your choice .. but let your money do the talking and not your negativity. And if you do buy one .. we WILL GIVE YOU A LOT OF POO MISTER. :)

ok .. that's all I have. You can continue to give yourself a heart-attack now.

I don't like the Gen 2, I haven't tried to hide that, neither have droves of other members here. Why would I say something positive about a truck I don't like (besides that I like the interior)? I said from the beginning that I didn't want aluminum in a truck that would need to take abuse, this just illustrates my reasoning.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here's a challenge for you then - find a real-world example of a new F150 where someone has punched a hole in their bed. I've looked and I can't find one. It's been two+ years and there are definitely people out there using their trucks, even stupid people.

Point being that we all know that aluminum has a lower shear strength than steel. That's no surprise and of course Ford knew it when they designed the new truck. But Ford did real-world tests to design and prove the strength of the bed so that it would hold up, and it looks like they did a good job of that.

What GM is doing is to create artificial situations dropping items of particular shape and weight from a specific height they know exceed the strength of aluminum yet not steel - i.e., very heavy, very pointy objects where the force is concentrated at a single point. 5% heavier and that toolbox might have punctured the steel. 5% lighter, and maybe it wouldn't have punctured the aluminum. A different shape and it might have dented the steel but not the aluminum.

I'll take real world data over gimmicks any day.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's a challenge for you then - find a real-world example of a new F150 where someone has punched a hole in their bed. I've looked and I can't find one.

Point being that we all know that aluminum has a lower shear strength than steel. That's no surprise and of course Ford knew it when they designed the new truck. But Ford did real-world tests to design and prove the strength of the bed so that it would hold up, and it looks like they did a good job of that.

What GM is doing is to create artificial situations dropping items of particular shape and weight from a specific height they know exceed the strength of aluminum yet not steel - i.e., very heavy, very pointy objects where the force is concentrated at a single point. 5% heavier and that toolbox might have punctured the steel. 5% lighter, and maybe it wouldn't have punctured the aluminum. A different shape and it might have dented the steel but not the aluminum.

I'll take real world data over gimmicks any day.

I'm not going to dig around for it, I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to find and I don't care to waste my time on it. Fact is, and you said it yourself, aluminum has a lower shear strength. I know that my bed has had a couple of instances in which an aluminum bed would have torn. The corner of a heavy ass highlift put a nice big dent in my steel linexed bed.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that my bed has had a couple of instances in which an aluminum bed would have torn

Because you have magic insight into material strength. I have a dent in the tailgate of my suv where I banged it with a 13oz aluminum tent pole.

Last edited: