2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R: "durability problems when turned up beyond 650 HP"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Germans are doing TT V8’s quite well (my wife’s X5 has one making 523hp), I’m hoping Ford does the ultimate counter punch to the TRX and comes out with a TT V8. I can dream right?

moodster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the 7.3 Godzilla with a turbo or supercharger??
Nobody talks about this set up.
This engine is smaller in dimensions than a 5.0 and also I believe than the 5.2.
Plenty of room for plumbing under the hood with the 7.3.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
What about the 7.3 Godzilla with a turbo or supercharger??
Nobody talks about this set up.
This engine is smaller in dimensions than a 5.0 and also I believe than the 5.2.
Plenty of room for plumbing under the hood with the 7.3.

But iron block, no? Heavier engine on a lighter frame would be even more nose-heavy than TRX.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, right, that's my point - those vehicles are in production now, and the R is not.

There is less and less appetite for the gas-guzzlers at Ford and a gradual decline in those types of vehicles. There is only so much room, and eventually, ideas like the R will no longer be entertained.

Ford has CAFE standards for the whole fleet to be concerned about. I think they are happy to make gas guzzlers as long as they also can keep pace with the electric vehicles and high MPG vehicle sales. And if the market wants SC v8 trucks, Ford will make them.

I do agree somewhat that ideas like the R will no longer be entertained, but more so for lack of a market for them. While there will always be diehards who love V8s, if electric vehicles are matching their speed and performance for significantly cheaper, the markets going to dry up.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford has CAFE standards for the whole fleet to be concerned about. I think they are happy to make gas guzzlers as long as they also can keep pace with the electric vehicles and high MPG vehicle sales. And if the market wants SC v8 trucks, Ford will make them.

I do agree somewhat that ideas like the R will no longer be entertained, but more so for lack of a market for them. While there will always be diehards who love V8s, if electric vehicles are matching their speed and performance for significantly cheaper, the markets going to dry up.
Well said. The only thing I’m on the fence about is the v8 diehard fans, we are a dying breed, they will all be museum pieces one day. Maybe have another decade left. Time is up! If Ford builds the R you better hope you can get one with the v8 as it will probably be the last one model built.

PerfectoR

Reaction score
I didnt wait to go with the Raptor R because of the Shely GT500 with the Predator Engine goes through gas like there is no tomorrow. I am lucky to get 200 miles per fill-up. The Gen 3 with the twin turbo is all I need to put a smile on my face....and when I want to go faster I hop in the Shelby.

However I cant wait to see what they do with the R version soon to be announced!

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys see the license plate of the truck in the Raptor reveal? I put the screenshot below. Looks like there's clearly a reference to 8 twice. Could they have a twin turbo v8 in the R model??? Could be interesting... View attachment 312947
HI8 8IH... it’s what they put so the image can be reversed without something appearing wrong in the picture. Almost all automotive advertising license plates are this way