2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R: "durability problems when turned up beyond 650 HP"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said "the trucks experienced durability problems" when the engine was turned up- nothing about the engine having issues. S/C V8 is plenty adequate for the next 5 years. TT V8 output is still a decade out- saving that for the 4 digit HP engines.

The durability problems are likely cooling and everything after the transmission- axles, half shafts, u-joints, T-case, knuckles, etc. All getting intentionally abused the driver, 800-900 HP from a overspun blower setup and the weight of some 37" tires. Maybe they crammed even bigger tires on it for testing.

Headline could have read: "Ford is out there with modified prototype trucks, trying to break them. The team will upgrade parts as their bean counters deem appropriate."

M/T is historically anti-Ford. The first paragraph alone has 3 passive aggressive statements about the Raptor.

The S/C V8 Raptor is going to absolutely destroy the TRX. It's going to be a slaughter. "TR-What again?" is going to be the reaction.

Last year I asked why Ford wouldn’t put 37’s on the truck stock and it was met with “THAT TAKES TOO MUCH ENGINEERING AAARRRRHHH” Now here we are. For all we know, we could see 4 figure HP numbers now, twin turbo, a final *** you to the TRX. 1000-HP truck? Unheard of.

I agree on it absolutely destroying the TRX when it rolls out.

zapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is the price will start around 90k for base and if you go all-in you'll be well around 120k. I guess (or hope) they'll offer things like the FOX performance suspension or Big-Brakes as factory option.

The durability issues are just part of the usual development work..
A supercharged v8 in a truck is not rocket science or brand new tech like fuel-cells or something. The engineers have tons of experience dealing with combustion engines and truck drivetrains.. It's just a matter of getting more expensive ingredients approved by the business teams and it might take longer for the car be released, if those iterations have not been planned in from the go.

VizTuL

Reaction score
Did you guys see the license plate of the truck in the Raptor reveal? I put the screenshot below. Looks like there's clearly a reference to 8 twice. Could they have a twin turbo v8 in the R model??? Could be interesting... IMG_7668.jpg

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only confirmed bit of information I’ve seen is it will have a V8. We don’t know what size, we don’t know if it’s twin turbo, single turbo, supercharged, or NA. For all we know it could end up going by another name than “R”. I’m still on the side of the fence that it will have something other than an engine from a GT500.

dvm

Reaction score
The only confirmed bit of information I’ve seen is it will have a V8. We don’t know what size, we don’t know if it’s twin turbo, single turbo, supercharged, or NA. For all we know it could end up going by another name than “R”. I’m still on the side of the fence that it will have something other than an engine from a GT500.
Well it can’t be NA and be called an “R”. Why even build it.

so that means turbo or SC has to be the answer.