WSI, RPG and ICON present: The SnoBall 500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, the FCC is requiring narrow band operation as of yesterday for all licensed public safety and business radio operators. This spectrum is the 150-512 MHz range which is what our radios fall under.

We just spent $20,000 at my work upgrading our radio system for this reason! Our old radios weren't narrow band compliant...

If we want to get technical, nobody should be using these VHF radios without a license... But it's overlooked on the frequencies we usually operate on.

Narrowbanding

I only knew this because I was looking into getting radio's for the farm and some how this popped up on the web. but I couldn't remember what it was I just figured wait a bit than buy a newer model.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when I bring over your gas cans this weekend, you need me to bring over the bracket for ya too?

Thx Mike but I bought the Raptor kit from James so ill have the braket and the Raptor specific wiring.

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

We actually don't need a license for the specific frequencies we're using for this trip. That's why I had suggested the MURS band.

Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) | FCC.gov

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We actually don't need a license for the specific frequencies we're using for this trip. That's why I had suggested the MURS band.

Those frequencies are ok, but who has a 2-watt handheld, which is the legal power limit for the MURS freq? Even most handhelds are 5-watts...

Not that it matters, who's going to enforce this in the UP in the middle of nowhere in winter??? Haha

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the point. If people wanted to buy a cheap radio just for this, they could buy a MURS. If there were a HAM or had a commercial radio, they could leverage that radio, and maybe fudge the rules a tad.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Those frequencies are ok, but who has a 2-watt handheld, which is the legal power limit for the MURS freq? Even most handhelds are 5-watts...

Not that it matters, who's going to enforce this in the UP in the middle of nowhere in winter??? Haha

The snoball channels on the radios I sold are set to low power so they can stay legal.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The snoball channels on the radios I sold are set to low power so they can stay legal.

The Wouxun hand held worked great on the pre run. I did add the high gain antenna to it and I was able to easily get 2 miles of range on the trails.

Add the hand held mic and clip the radio somewhere in the truck, and you got an instant full radio in the truck. I don't regret buying two!