Why so much oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rao26

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to do a break in oil change on my R and I was wondering why does it take so much oil? Is it for cooling or is it to increase the time between oil changes. Regardless I’ll do it every 3k after this early one.

cr23raptor1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For offroading. Bigger oil pan to lubricate the engine properly while the truck is at extreme angles. Look it up on the for website.... more oil does not determine length of oil changes either, used oil is used oil. Don't look into it to much- it's not a high performance race engine. Just change the oil around 5k miles- you'll be good to go.

OP
OP
R

rao26

Reaction score
For offroading. Bigger oil pan to lubricate the engine properly while the truck is at extreme angles. Look it up on the for website.... more oil does not determine length of oil changes either, used oil is used oil. Don't look into it too much- it's not a high performance race engine. Just change the oil around 5k miles- you'll be good to go.
probably shoulda started on the website but that doesn’t make sense anyway. That would mean the R can take more extreme angles than the 3.5l raptor? I really doubt that but maybe.

OP
OP
R

rao26

Reaction score
How many miles did you break in for?
1000. I’ll do the diffs and t case real early as well. I’ll wait till 5k for those though and then every 30k after that. I’ll post the oil analysis results for all the changes. I used to do 5k on my other truck but the results improved when I went to 3k. Maybe that one is just super harsh on oil though.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
probably shoulda started on the website but that doesn’t make sense anyway. That would mean the R can take more extreme angles than the 3.5l raptor? I really doubt that but maybe.
3.5 has an oversized pan too. The comparison you want is to a Mustang.