What could be bad? Wheel influenced by minor rocks and bumps while offroad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamil_drifts

Reaction score
Hello, hope everyones week is going well so far. I need some help tracking down an issue Im having with my 2014 SCREW. Ive tried to search for this issue via various key words and I couldnt really find anything that matched my issue.

Issue: When offroading, aired down to about 30 psi, the steering wheel is immensely influenced by anything that the truck is going over. Say a small rock is on the left of the vehicle and I roll over it.... well in doing so, my wheel wants to pull to the left like crazy. Same for anything on the passenger side, the wheel tries to pull like crazy as it travels over said imperfections. Now these arent big rocks, imagine something similar to or smaller than your fist. My power steering has a slight whine, but I wouldnt say the pump has completely failed or anything.

New Parts on Truck:
- Rebuilt shocks with 5k on them
- Upper control arms
- Lower Ball Joints
- Sway Bar Links
- Inner tie rods
- Outer Tie Rods
- Front Axles
- A bunch of other stuff that doesnt pertain to suspension (plugs, COPs, wires, 4wd shift motor, etc)

My thoughts are either bad power steering pump, bad rack (although not convinced), bad rack bushings??

Thank you all ahead of t ime for your help, this place has been an awesome source for knowledge which I genuinely appreciate. If you guys have any suggestions, I am all ears.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Man, that's a lot of new parts! How many miles on the truck? Rebuilt shocks can fail if not done right so don't count them out as the culprit. Did you notice the problem right after any of the new parts were installed?

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alignment? What is the shock pressure? Who did the rebuilds? What is the perch setting? Like you said rack mounts.

OP
OP
K

kamil_drifts

Reaction score
Man, that's a lot of new parts! How many miles on the truck? Rebuilt shocks can fail if not done right so don't count them out as the culprit. Did you notice the problem right after any of the new parts were installed?
Just broke 120k on the truck. Shocks do feel significantly better than before, so atleast for now I’m going to assume that’s not the culprit. And nothing extremely noticeable after installing anything specific. Just feels like there’s still something that hasn’t been addressed. Today while driving I still felt a minor shimmy in the wheel as I was cruising on the highway almost like the wheels had a bit of wiggle room before the steering wheel being held straight had an input, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
K

kamil_drifts

Reaction score
Alignment? What is the shock pressure? Who did the rebuilds? What is the perch setting? Like you said rack mounts.
Brand new alignment done on Monday shortly after inners and outers were installed. Haven’t checked shock pressure since rebuild, I’m I’m in mid preschool stock springs, and would you happen to know the best way to check rack bushings for play? Thank you for the help m!

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
You lay under the truck. Someone turns the steering wheel back and forth.

Preferably someone that likes you and you trust not to run you over. so defiantly not a x wife with life insurance policy on you. LOL
Or have the x-wife lay under the Raptor and your foot slips off the brake, then one of your problems is at least fixed!