Pioneer amp randomly going into “Protection Mode”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed my sub set-up 2 months ago. Went with the following…

@SoundsGoodStereo harness
Pioneer-GM-D8701 mono amp
Skar ported box paired with the Skar VS12D2 sub

It sounds so good (I wasn’t expecting it to sound as great as it does being Skar). It’s wired at 1 ohm and I’ve set the gain and frequency response appropriately. No clipping and really rarely use the boost knob. Volume for bass output on the head unit is at zero. It legitly hits nice and appropriately at all volume levels.

The problem is for the 3rd time the amp has gone into protection mode. I turn the truck off, check the amp and the protection mode light says on for about 3-5 min then turns off. The amp is not hot, the fuses are fine on the amp and by the battery. All wiring is tight. Ground is ran to bolt on seat frame and is also secure. Wires to sub are secure. I had a “humming” problem when first installed. After research I had to kill the fake speaker noise via For-Scan and that issue was solved.

I fire the truck and everything is fine. The times that it’s happened have occurred at differnt volume levels.

It’s really strange. Any input would be awesome.

Attachments

• F2C5DC73-2F45-4A7E-9DEF-218C0AC84DCE.jpeg
    F2C5DC73-2F45-4A7E-9DEF-218C0AC84DCE.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 49BDBEC8-325E-4CAA-AE9E-75F02BEBE7F6.jpeg
    49BDBEC8-325E-4CAA-AE9E-75F02BEBE7F6.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 4

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
could be ground or power. How is it connected; what gauge wire, how long is the run? Anything else running?
Are you using auto stop/start? <--- don’t, if you are.

You may need to put a multi-meter on it to see if you’re getting voltage drop or maybe have an inconsistent reading, possibly a loose connection somewhere.

OP
OP
Keith88

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
could be ground or power. How is it connected; what gauge wire, how long is the run? Anything else running?
Are you using auto stop/start? <--- don’t, if you are.

You may need to put a multi-meter on it to see if you’re getting voltage drop or maybe have an inconsistent reading, possibly a loose connection somewhere.
Connected with the Allen key head on amp, standard bolt n nut connections elsewhere. I’m using 4g wire. Run is 20ft. No auto stop start. Will try running my multi meter. Thank you very much for the advice.