Upgrading the TWINS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the forged RMB -

Thread owner - let me know if you want me to take this to DM with Dillard.

The Forged RMB - price and what can we push that engine up to?

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Why the Garrett over the CRPs?
I like the efficiency of the Garrets. This allows for it to get the pressure we are looking for with a cooler air charge right out of the turbo. Density rules. And gosh. Look at these things. So sexy! I couldn't resist.

I did not look too deeply into the CRPs if I am being honest. I did see a bunch of older stuff out there with vacuum based wastegate control. Above all, I valued the electronic control of the wastegate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
So the forged RMB -

I would LOVE an RMB block! I've been eyeing these up quite a bit.

I saw some stuff about matching ported cylinder heads on the RMB website, but it seems they may have discontinued those. Do they only sell short blocks?

Everyone likes to quote the 600hp mark for the stock internals. I'm hoping they may be good for a little more, but we will find out in the long run. I've been impressed with how much boost stock LS motors have held up to. Maybe I'll luck out with the factory 3.5 for a while. If she pops, I'm for sure picking up an RMB

I need more seat time on everything before I can truly tell you all what I think. If anyone drove my 93 tune, it would knock your socks off. Moving up to E85 was like driving greased lightning, and moving back to 93 felt "slow". I know that's an odd statement to make, but it is definitely true.

It is possible that I may not exercise the truck in E85 terribly often just because I don't *want* to break things. Maybe I will get used to the power and the inexpensive fuel. I'm not sure yet... In light of that thought process, it may have been wiser to invest in a RMB block than the fuel system upgrades. It really would not be much more work to swap out the entire engine from the work I performed.

Also... I now have absolutely no qualms driving the snot out of my 93 tune. While it is pretty legit, it feels mild compared to the E85 tune.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very interested to see the dyno #'s (and the graph) once all said & done. Don't think the tranny will have an issue....torque converter/T-case though? I dunno. Tell ya one thing - I tip my hat off to you for that work & wrenching. I tried my hand at some mod projects on a few rides over the years but never anything that extensive - swapping sway bars, brake jobs, shifters, changing trans/engine oil, exhaust/headers - the tool list required alone would be a deal breaker as would having no lift. BUT - at the end of the day, now you know your way around the truck that much better & intimately understand every facet of the project should an issue pop up down the road.

Good work!

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, Thanks for the detailed work write up. I will also look forward to seeing a dyno sheet for both the 93 and E85 should be interesting to see the differences. Thanks again!

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the forged RMB -

I have the stage 2 short block. It is rated for 1000/1000. So more than enough. Depending on what you do it can be a pretty penny. I did ported heads as well and I was around 9k for a long block. Just had to swap over the intake and some fuel stuff.
I would LOVE an RMB block! I've been eyeing these up quite a bit.

I saw some stuff about matching ported cylinder heads on the RMB website, but it seems they may have discontinued those. Do they only sell short blocks?

Everyone likes to quote the 600hp mark for the stock internals. I'm hoping they may be good for a little more, but we will find out in the long run. I've been impressed with how much boost stock LS motors have held up to. Maybe I'll luck out with the factory 3.5 for a while. If she pops, I'm for sure picking up an RMB

I need more seat time on everything before I can truly tell you all what I think. If anyone drove my 93 tune, it would knock your socks off. Moving up to E85 was like driving greased lightning, and moving back to 93 felt "slow". I know that's an odd statement to make, but it is definitely true.

It is possible that I may not exercise the truck in E85 terribly often just because I don't *want* to break things. Maybe I will get used to the power and the inexpensive fuel. I'm not sure yet... In light of that thought process, it may have been wiser to invest in a RMB block than the fuel system upgrades. It really would not be much more work to swap out the entire engine from the work I performed.

Also... I now have absolutely no qualms driving the snot out of my 93 tune. While it is pretty legit, it feels mild compared to the E85 tune.
Yes you can get pocket ported heads from RMB. He has Headgames motorsports do them. I have a set.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened to your stock block? How did it fail?
Had a few piece floating around in the oil pan. No clue what happened. Had a 93 octane tune for over 75k miles and got off the cruise one day doing 75mph and that was the end.

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 151