Two switches of deathray!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol... I mounted HID lights behind the grill of my FJ. It did effect the light output but not much. See its really just a math problem...

Rigid rates the 20" at 7900 Lumens and the 40" at 15800 lumens. That means that the 20" puts out exactly 1/2 the light as the 40" (weird I know). But anyways: for the grill to make the 20" as dim as the 40" it would have to block half of the light. If you look at your grill, you will notice that the cross sectional surface area of the solid parts of the grill is much much less than the open parts ( This makes sense as Ford wants as much airflow as possible for cooling). If the grill was 50% soild and 50% open then it would dim the 40" down to about the level of the 20". For the 40" to be dimmer than the 20" the grill would have to be MORE solid than open. I think its easy to see that isn't the case.

My guess is you lose about 10-20% of the brightness of lights put behind the grill. If you really care, (which I don't), you could actualy measure and work the geometry of the grille and get a true cross sectional percentage.

Don't you guys hate Engineers? lol

RigidAZ

Rigid Rep
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
someone just contact me so I can send a loaner Lux meter. Yes, a loaner LUX meter..we do that..and no, its not biased towards anything in particular, just light output at distance, where it counts.
[email protected]

test away...

M&R-I know you are still reading this, dont forget to include yourself again when the meter shows up.

OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone just contact me so I can send a loaner Lux meter. Yes, a loaner LUX meter..we do that..and no, its not biased towards anything in particular, just light output at distance, where it counts.
[email protected]

test away...

M&R-I know you are still reading this, dont forget to include yourself again when the meter shows up.

PM sent! :waytogo:

MandR Automotive

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
[email protected]

test away...

I would love to. PM Sent

PS-hope its a USA made product :)

Last edited:

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Great Forum

I have had more fun reading this thread than just about any in the past! I left for work with a smile on my face, it just made my day. I'm glad this forum let's people speak freely and not over react like some other forumx's by banning people for having opinions. We can go at it here and when the dust settles we are still all Raptor brothers and sisters respecting each others right to express themself's. Big Blue your light set-up is great and your pictures have really helped me decide on my LED set up. :waytogo:

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had more fun reading this thread than just about any in the past! I left for work with a smile on my face, it just made my day. I'm glad this forum let's people speak freely and not over react like some other forumx's by banning people for having opinions. We can go at it here and when the dust settles we are still all Raptor brothers and sisters respecting each others right to express themself's. Big Blue your light set-up is great and your pictures have really helped me decide on my LED set up. :waytogo:

I agree. Like any other family, we have our differences, but our Raptors is what unites us.

OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed!! The forum mods are very cool!!!!!! :waytogo::waytogo:

Stay tuned for the results. I concur with Angry Bird that the lumens lost by the grill is no greater than 20%....I'm guesiing in the 10%-15% range.

I will do the following:

20" bar alone from 25'
40" bar alone at 25' with hood up
40" bar alone at 25' with hood down

20" bar alone from 100'
40" bar alone at 100' with hood up
40" bar alone at 100' with hood down

While not related to this discussion, but a point of interest for some. I will also test the Lumen output of my HID headlights.

Additionally, if any local guys have M&R set-ups, please send me a PM as I would love to include them in the data group.

Let me know if you guys want any more data/tests completed. :peace:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alotajs