Transmission updates - aftermarket pan and dipstick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did some more looking around about the dipstick. Lokar used to make one that came with a nice bracket setup. I believe Performance Automatic sold the same one, just rebranded. Unfortunately neither are available anymore. It looks like the option is either the B&M one, or the knock-off B&M one (it's probably the same thing). I'll probably end up buying the knock off one as 250 dollars for a dipstick setup is pretty insane, and the knock off one is 70 dollars. Thinking about then building a bracket to locate it so it's easier to access then too like others have done.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Leaning more towards the aFe pan at this point since it holds 7 quarts over stock, which is the most out of any aftermarket pan out there.

Before installing any aftermarket items you should first determine the need AND the possible negatives. Have you verified the trans fluid temp itself under the loads you put on it? If it is within established norms for your trans, the extra fluid may drop the temp below the normal range during most of your driving which is NOT a benefit.
Ive done temp analysis during all reasonable conditions and it NEVER gets above the expected temp when under extreme, multiple full throttle brake torque launches, etc. I’ve seen it as high as 220degF under these conditions where during normal driving it generally runs 180-190. You really font want it to run below these temps or have too much fluid that will actually cause/retain higher temps due to fluid sheer friction/excess fluid to actually require cooling. YMMV as always…

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before installing any aftermarket items you should first determine the need AND the possible negatives. Have you verified the trans fluid temp itself under the loads you put on it? If it is within established norms for your trans, the extra fluid may drop the temp below the normal range during most of your driving which is NOT a benefit.
Ive done temp analysis during all reasonable conditions and it NEVER gets above the expected temp when under extreme, multiple full throttle brake torque launches, etc. I’ve seen it as high as 220degF under these conditions where during normal driving it generally runs 180-190. You really font want it to run below these temps or have too much fluid that will actually cause/retain higher temps due to fluid sheer friction/excess fluid to actually require cooling. YMMV as always…
I switched to this pan. My temp used to be 206 on a regular day they are 210 on a regular day. so a 4 deg increase.
The temp were monitored over a month.on the same drive in traffic same route. so @TwizzleStix is correct more fluid dose not mean lower temp. but it does mean more fluid. In my mind that is a good thing. I will still keep the change interval at 60k. The fluid should keep more of its properties since there is more of it. NOW I could be wrong. BUT that is the way my mind sees it.
I am going to do a better cooler mine is behind the supercharger cooler I think it doesn't see enough air flow.

TwizzleStix

Reaction score
I switched to this pan. My temp used to be 206 on a regular day they are 210 on a regular day. so a 4 deg increase.
The temp were monitored over a month.on the same drive in traffic same route. so @TwizzleStix is correct more fluid dose not mean lower temp. but it does mean more fluid. In my mind that is a good thing. I will still keep the change interval at 60k. The fluid should keep more of its properties since there is more of it. NOW I could be wrong. BUT that is the way my mind sees it.
I am going to do a better cooler mine is behind the supercharger cooler I think it doesn't see enough air flow.
Yeah, I can easily see why you believe what you’re saying, but unfortunately you're wrong. The fluid is being worked harder and stays hotter because there’s literally too much of it, 100% defeating your intended purpose for the deeper pan in the first place. Such negatives are way more common than you would think in an enthusiast community, but its not. Don't feel unique or alone in your situation.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh.... I have been wrong a lot in my life. Probably not going to change it back though.LOL.. 4 DEG isn't a lot. I might get it back with a better cooler. I think if I were to do it agin I would go with the other pan out there. @mwaite09 went with. Was more fluid But his trans temp didn't change. ( I don't remember the brand) it wasn't 7 more quarts.....I think it was 4 more over stock. possible he will chime in tell us the brand.

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight sells a battery operated transfer pump that fits perfectly in a Motorcraft quart bottle for $12.99. It worked great for mine.
The motor is at the bottom. On button on top. Got mine free with purchase of a 5 gallon diesel can.

Attachments

• Image 9-10-24 at 12.21 PM.jpeg
    Image 9-10-24 at 12.21 PM.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh.... I have been wrong a lot in my life. Probably not going to change it back though.LOL.. 4 DEG isn't a lot. I might get it back with a better cooler. I think if I were to do it agin I would go with the other pan out there. @mwaite09 went with. Was more fluid But his trans temp didn't change. ( I don't remember the brand) it wasn't 7 more quarts.....I think it was 4 more over stock. possible he will chime in tell us the brand.

It's probably the B&M one. I know Freedom Motorsports mentioned they recommend either that one of the aFe one from an earlier thread.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking at another thread, it's recommended to remove the thermostat above the valve body if you're running a larger cooler. Looks like the thermostat bypass and the service kit for doing it can be found here:

TwizzleStix

Reaction score
What dose @TwizzleStix think of this^^^^^
Yeah, no. The thermostat just ensures the fluid gets up to a minimum temp exactly like the engine coolant. The only issue that may be helped by removing the thermostat is if you’re actually racing in the Baja 1000 and running 1” diameter coolant lines it could be a restriction.