Transmission updates - aftermarket pan and dipstick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwep

Reaction score
Well, here’s my story….

I replaced my lead frame six years ago. During that procedure, I believe I did something to make the thermostat un functionable.

My trans temperatures run usually in the 160s. Sometimes it goes as high as the 170s during 90° temps and can run in the 140s during short trips in the winter when temperatures are in the teens.

After six years and 34,000 miles, there’s been no noticeable difference in the performance of the transmission. Transmission has a total of 86,000 miles on it at this time.

I live in the north east and can see temperatures in the high 90s and as low as -10 during winter.
Probably has cost me a little in Performance/efficiency, no worries there for me.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think I said it would be damaged by running cooler than optimum for the fluid functionality, but it will indeed cost power when running cooler than ~185-190F. Same as with your engine oil. The engine will make more power with the oil running ~200-220F than it will at 180F. It’s simple physics (fluid dynamics) proven countless times on the dyno and on the race track. For street engine/trans the average idiot will never know the difference and do stupid sh*t because of the idiots who post stupid sh*t on forums who have no actual proven background/experience. Yeah, this has become too redundant so…,
To anyone reading this he is 100% correct the thinner (which comes from heat) the fluids become (doesn't matter if is oil, coolant, transmission fluid or gear oil) the more HP you will get to the ground.

We are talking 5-7 hp.

The engine temp should definitely approach if not exceed slightly 200 degrees.

Transmission for longer life, not for an extra 3 hp should be kept closer to 170.

My goal is max longevity not max HPtrans_life_expectancy.jpg

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My thoughts on this subject, more capacity is helpful if you tow heavy or subject the truck to Baha conditions otherwise unnessary. In the hotter regions the F250 cooler helps keep the temps cooler longer. Modern fluids are engineered to reach optimum viscosity at around 185 degrees hense the reason for the thermo controled valve valve in the trans. Applying to much power to a cold trans is asking for failure.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My thoughts on this subject, more capacity is helpful if you tow heavy or subject the truck to Baha conditions otherwise unnessary. In the hotter regions the F250 cooler helps keep the temps cooler longer. Modern fluids are engineered to reach optimum viscosity at around 185 degrees hense the reason for the thermo controled valve valve in the trans. Applying to much power to a cold trans is asking for failure.

Sure, but if the thermostat is keeping it above 200 degrees, or higher, what's the benefit of having it? The fluid is still going to warm up to temperature, especially if it's running through the radiator cooler.

mwaite09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh.... I have been wrong a lot in my life. Probably not going to change it back though.LOL.. 4 DEG isn't a lot. I might get it back with a better cooler. I think if I were to do it agin I would go with the other pan out there. @mwaite09 went with. Was more fluid But his trans temp didn't change. ( I don't remember the brand) it wasn't 7 more quarts.....I think it was 4 more over stock. possible he will chime in tell us the brand.
I went with the mag-hytec 6R80. Although I'm not as consistent as gumby with monitoring my trans temp i did see a marked improvement, especially when towing my boat up a 10 mile incline, it only went up a few degrees compared to the stock pan.

Last edited: