GEN 2 Transmission Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OSS is inside the trans and has nothing to do with getting the fluid changed. Its an electrical part. It is accessed by removing the valve body. Unlike the 6R80, the entire lead frame doesn't need replaced to replace the sensor, ford made it separate in the 10r80. Theres even a TSB depending on your build date-

If the TSB doesn't apply, the resistance of the sensor and circuit can be check at the main trans plug without any major disassembly to see if its the sensor/harness, or if it's something else like the tone ring broke (which isn't likely).

OP
OP
JustBillin

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to have it towed to my local dealer next week when I have a free morning to deal with it. I definitely want to get it resolved properly before my trip to Texas next month. I'm picking up an RV (Casita) and don't want to have a mechanical issue while hitched up for a long drive home.

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my transmission issues started when I took it to the dealer for complaints of rough shifts. Part of the work was changing the fluid in addition to a valve body or something. Overheating issues started within 50 miles of getting it back. Eventually had to change the transmission. In hindsight, I should have just lived with the rough shifts (I think they pretty much all shift that way). Taking it to the dealer just caused way more problems than were solved.

I10

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to have it towed to my local dealer next week when I have a free morning to deal with it. I definitely want to get it resolved properly before my trip to Texas next month. I'm picking up an RV (Casita) and don't want to have a mechanical issue while hitched up for a long drive home.
What was the outcome on this, JustBillin?
I just had my truck towed to the dealer this afternoon, Ford app showed message.” The powertrain control system has detected a loss of the signal from one of the transmission speed sensors”. Truck will not go into gear after trying to shift into drive or reverse. The shifter works but the transmission must have a lock out.

OP
OP
JustBillin

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said it was the speed sensor. It seems to be driving normally, but I have only put about 75 miles on the truck. My extended warranty covered it, but I had to pay a deductible. The service advisor asked me if I wanted to replace the filter while they had the pan off and they only charged me for the part. Sorry for the late reply, I just got my truck back on Tuesday and I haven't logged into this forum in about a week.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the cobb transmission tuning has pretty much fixed all of the my 10R80 complaints.. lets hope it lasts.. (70K mi)

Unfortunately it probably is related to the fluid change (low or overfilled), hopefully they will rectify the situation..

my buddys 2018 was just in for an issue and they told him the TCM connector was corroded and causing a wrench light and limp mode, but it also had a wastegate actuator fault, so i assumed it was related to that..