"The Yeti" - 2013 Raptor build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Is that the factory ( Cast ) spindle ? if so I would be very careful my friend, from all I have read it would seem that welding steel onto cast iron is a no no.
im not a welder or expert just concerned for my forum buddies.

Well, its a good thing the spindles aren't cast iron then.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the factory ( Cast ) spindle ? if so I would be very careful my friend, from all I have read it would seem that welding steel onto cast iron is a no no.
im not a welder or expert just concerned for my forum buddies.

You can weld certain types of cast. Like grey you can weld but others like nodular or Malleable the welding changes some of teh properties oat the weld spots.

Biggest

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm you know hat he means lolol

Im sure he knew exactly what I meant, if not, most would have noted that it was a question.
Surely the last one I will ask in this thread. Carry on.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Im sure he knew exactly what I meant, if not, most would have noted that it was a question.
Surely the last one I will ask in this thread. Carry on.

I did know what you meant because there is a big difference between cast iron and cast steel. Like you, I'm not an expert but I do know that the process of welding cast iron and cast steel are very different assuming it's at all possible or advisable.

If you meant to say cast steel, then please elaborate on your original statement now that we're on the same page. I'm assuming you have more to add or else you wouldn't have made the post in the first place.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did know what you meant because there is a big difference between cast iron and cast steel. Like you, I'm not an expert but I do know that the process of welding cast iron and cast steel are very different assuming it's at all possible or advisable.

If you meant to say cast steel, then please elaborate on your original statement now that we're on the same page. I'm assuming you have more to add or else you wouldn't have made the post in the first place.

Oh.. lol I thought since the spindles are not cast tehy are mild steel but the knuckles are all cast that is what he was referring to... and the spindles are bolted to the knuckle... ha ha ha... my bad

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Oh.. lol I thought since the spindles are not cast tehy are mild steel but the knuckles are all cast that is what he was referring to... and the spindles are bolted to the knuckle... ha ha ha... my bad

What? Knuckle, spindle...whatever you want to call it. Ford calls it a Steering Knuckle. It is one piece of cast steel. The *gusset* is mild steel and gets welded to the "knuckle"

...I know you know all of this but I was confused by what you wrote. And you were there so you saw the carnage first hand. We used your floor jack :)

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spindle vs knuckle..... I secretly hate when people call them spindles... Because they're not spindles! A spindle is what older two wheel drive trucks and straight axle front ends used. They are also what some rear wheel drive cars would use. A raptor has no "spindle" because instead we have one piece hub designs that bolt to the STEERING KNUCKLE. The spindle is the shaft that would secure and give the removable wheel bearings a place to ride. By calling them spindles, you're basically saying your raptor is a two wheel drive, or a Datsun pick up, or crown vic, or the rear suspension of a Honda civic. At this point, we might as well call the 6.2 a V6. Anyways. Continue on.
My STEERING KNUCKLES
image.jpg

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
The spindle vs knuckle..... I secretly hate when people call them spindles... Because they're not spindles! A spindle is what older two wheel drive trucks and straight axle front ends used. They are also what some rear wheel drive cars would use. A raptor has no "spindle" because instead we have one piece hub designs that bolt to the STEERING KNUCKLE. The spindle is the shaft that would secure and give the removable wheel bearings a place to ride. By calling them spindles, you're basically saying your raptor is a two wheel drive, or a Datsun pick up, or crown vic, or the rear suspension of a Honda civic. At this point, we might as well call the 6.2 a V6. Anyways. Continue on.
My STEERING KNUCKLES
View attachment 35945

Thanks for clearing that up lol