The SnoBall-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you are not the first truck and breaking the trail, stock tires are fine..

Tips I learned last year..

4 high
One press of traction control (sport mode)
Locker unlocked (locked diff will cause push straight in the corners)
Off road mode off

-Greg (aka Squatting Dog)

I found the exact same to work very well for me. I also ran in Drive with the Tow/Haul Ass mode set. It holds gears longer and keep me in the power ranger. I also downshifted a lot to shave off speed rather than braking (just ask Mark). I kinda believe that when you're off road, especially in snow, don't do anything sudden. No sudden turns. No sudden braking. Down shifting, to me, was a great way to slow without touching the brakes. Also puts me in the power band for acceleration right after. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not a professional off roader, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a year or so ago.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I found it keep changes shift points of transmission and held it longer than I liked. My personal experience is unless you drive in off road mode a lot and are used to its characteristics. It is better to drive with it off since you are accustomed to how the Raptor will react.

Personal experience and preference especially driving on trails little wider than the Raptor..

My only gripe with ORM is how it changes the peddle position relative to throttle. Just not my preference. But try it out, see what you like.

This truck makes it so easy to off road. It take the most mediocre driver, and makes them look like Ivan Stewart. Truly an amazing vehicle.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My opinion until you are used to driving the Raptor in the snow, it is better to keep offroad mode and locker off.

Snoball is the perfect place to learn and try all the combinations out to see what works best for you.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Greg. As the original SnoBall was my first trip with the truck I learned on the fly and tried a few different combinations of modes. Forgot once to go into sport mode. Almost got stuck, slid a little off trail and all the sudden I was like hey where did all the power go, oh shit nannies still fully on so it was "saving" me from spinning the tires. Quick slap of the button and I got out thankfully.

I find myself using manual mode to shift most of the time in snow or at the dunes. Sometimes in other conditions I will just lock out the higher gears and let the truck shift. Keeping it in the power band and using the transmission to slow down without using the brakes are the main reasons I like to use manual mode.

WorldTour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to use ORM because it switches to a more linear throttle use in gear and has less tendecy to drop down a gear when accelerating which can lead to excessive wheelspin. Not to mention it makes the ABS and TC more forgiving even in sport mode.
I leave the diff open to reduce the amount of inside wheel hop which tears of the trail and makes it considerably more rough for the truck coming through behind you. I try to only use it when I need it.

Another thing that I've gotten into the habit of is changing my driver position from what I normall have it set on for street use. I set the seat back more upright, raise the entire seat up and back and bring the pedals out to compensate. This just give me more visibility over the hood as well as along side of the truck when navigating over/trough obstacles.

Mark

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good point about seat position. I have 1 set for street and one foe off road. Only get 2 presets so the wife doesn't get one lol. Like you guys the seat is a bit higher and I tilt forward some as well.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious to what the official mile count is....unless i missed that somewhere in this thread

You might be able to find out after the pre-run this weekend. Somewhere in here I believe Jason said it was over 600 now. That is why it is not the SnoBall 500 anymore.