TFL Finds 2021 Ford Raptor Horsepower and Torque Numbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Ford suggested that a hybrid doesn't make that much sense for a Raptor, but that seems like it has to be the future direction. Looking at the stats above, the powerboost is matching or bettering 3.5TT HO. I would guess the only reason it isn't a hybrid right now is that were not sure the public was ready for a hybrid Raptor, and wanted to give the powerboost and lightning a few years to open people up to the idea.
The PowerBoost has more peak torque than the H.O., but it’s still down 20HP. The main issue is that the PowerBoost option adds 600lbs to a standard F-150 3.5 SuperCrew. On a Raptor, the curb weight would climb from 5700lbs to 6300lbs, which is of course is detrimental to high speed off road use. The PowerBoost option is also not compatible with the 36 gallon fuel tank, as the battery occupies that space. So you’d end up with a more expensive, much heavier, less capable off-road truck with less range. As good as the F-150 PowerBoost is, that powertrain just doesn’t fit the Raptor’s use case.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the Coil springs in rear going to be that big of a game changer? My 63 impala has coil springs in the rear . 21,000 original miles. It does ride pretty nice . Seems like a linked suspension will have more wear and harder to modify/ more expensive.

Attachments

• 63 impala.PNG
    63 impala.PNG
    736.6 KB · Views: 4

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I already owned one I would not buy the 21. No sense in it.
The coil over rear suspension & updated tech/interior + better performing shocks + dual mode exhaust/better exhaust note + factory 37"s w/o ******** the truck up....those are all pretty big positives to me

The difference in the suspension setup alone is going to amount to a much different driving experience & will be a significant improvement in all aspects - regular driving, flooring it in 2wd on or off pavement, & if you're into heavy modding or alot of offroading its a better setup than leaf springs I'm thinking.....only way I could think it'd be a negative I guess is if you planned on modding a Raptor from the get-go for heavier towing, adding or swapping out leaf springs there's options already out there some very cheap some not so much....but there are options, w/ rear coil springs may not have the aftermarket options right off the bat to improve towing capability

I wanna know what size the turbos are on this truck - I'm still thinking there's a chance they put bigger ones on

I don't understand why they didn't use the powerboost platform w/ a larger displacement V6 & call it a day 550-600hp & 600tq boom done, spread the gap between the regular powerboost & the Raptor-R.............PLUS being that the Raptor is supposed to be a rugged offroad "go anywhere" vehicle, it would stand to reason that hybrid powertrain would be useful w/ the ability to run all kinds of stuff using the truck as a generator.

I'm still interested in upgrading my 2020 Gen2 for a 3.5HO Gen3 w/ 37"s - but I'm going to wait until they're into at least the 2nd if not 3rd model year of this gen

all set w/ a "covid truck"......& I think it's going to be an industry-wide issues, but especially true for vehicles that were in the middle of major redesigns, could be wrong, but my guess I'll be looking like a psychic in a year or so

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am happy with the power of my Gen 2 but why the hell can't the power be pushed up a bit for the new gen? Already going to get penalized on 37's. What car manufacturer doesn't raise power on a new generation?
Last gen Audi RS7 made 605hp and this gen makes 590hp.....guess which one is the better car......

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The PowerBoost has more peak torque than the H.O., but it’s still down 20HP. The main issue is that the PowerBoost option adds 600lbs to a standard F-150 3.5 SuperCrew. On a Raptor, the curb weight would climb from 5700lbs to 6300lbs, which is of course is detrimental to high speed off road use. The PowerBoost option is also not compatible with the 36 gallon fuel tank, as the battery occupies that space. So you’d end up with a more expensive, much heavier, less capable off-road truck with less range. As good as the F-150 PowerBoost is, that powertrain just doesn’t fit the Raptor’s use case.

Your logic is sound, and all makes sense. I surely misspoke in saying that there would be a powerboost Raptor now if the public would buy into it. I still would say that Ford would want to have some version of powerboost in a Raptor at some point in the future. Maybe they need more power density in a battery, or a some other change to happen. Unless Ford wants to revert back to a V8, battery is the way forward, or the Raptor just becomes their offroad vehicle and not really their top halo vehicle.

I'm just thinking 5 years from now, it's not hard to imagine that a powerboost based engine will top 450 HP and beat a stock Raptor in 0-60 easily. Sure it won't be as offroad capable, but it will be capable enough for the majority of folks. if they don't move it forward it ways that appeal to the masses eventually, it's going to slowly die out.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THAT SUCKS!! They're gonna be alot of Gen3 Raptor owners pissed when they get they're doors blown off by an XLT Powerboost, those suckers are FAST. I found out the hard way :owned2: Looks like I'll be hanging on to tha ole Gen2 a little bit longer. I guess Gen3 was built by the guys at
Ford "suspension" Performance

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An extra 600lbs and lack of a 36 gal tank is enough for some (myself included) to never want the power boost. I had no idea it weighed that much more, and lacked the extra fuel capacity.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An extra 600lbs and lack of a 36 gal tank is enough for some (myself included) to never want the power boost. I had no idea it weighed that much more, and lacked the extra fuel capacity.
My Raptor's range with the 36 gal fuel tank has really spoiled me. Don't think I would even consider anything under 30 gal anymore.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
THAT SUCKS!! They're gonna be alot of Gen3 Raptor owners pissed when they get they're doors blown off by an XLT Powerboost, those suckers are FAST. I found out the hard way :owned2: Looks like I'll be hanging on to tha ole Gen2 a little bit longer. I guess Gen3 was built by the guys at
Ford "suspension" Performance

Well, if Gen 3 Raptor owners dont' know that it's not the clear speed champ of the F150 lineup anymore, that's on them. And wait till a Lightning commercial truck beats the Raptor off the line.

Powerboost: 30.6 gallon tank x 24 mpg = 734 mile range
Raptor: 36 gallon tank x 18 mpg = 648 mile range

Real world numbers may be off, but basically, Powerboost only needs to get 2-3 mpg better to equal the range. And of course, you're paying less at the pump too.

It does stand reason that you don't see that 2-3 mpg advantage offroad.