Texas Raptor Run April 18-21 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I did fine without a copilot or nav. You don't need that stuff. Personally, I wouldn't want someone yapping in my ear while I'm concentrating.

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ihave been looking at the lorance Elite-5m Baja and HDS-5m Gen2. Which one is the best bang for the buck for TRR duty?

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alan's scared of sand. He told me.

:secret:

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

I did fine without a copilot or nav. You don't need that stuff. Personally, I wouldn't want someone yapping in my ear while I'm concentrating.

Yeah you don't need that stuff for sure but man was I glad when I got an ear full when I was looking at the bed cage stuff and the gauges. Stuff will come out of no where!

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
There is a memory card that we all passed around with the map loaded on it. It does NOT have the hazards marked, that is what the parade lap is used for.

GPS is great out there the track changed day to day. Markers were knocked down or missing in some areas. Trey/BRT/Ross creek did an excellent job of keeping on top of markers.

Having a copilot/navigator helps watching the gps and upcoming hazards.

-Greg

The goal this year is to have a file with Hazards marked. It will probably cost $10, just so I can recoup the gas money I spent making the file. It will definitely be a more complete file than last year. I will have it in all the common formats. .usr, .gpx, .kml, etc...

Ihave been looking at the lorance Elite-5m Baja and HDS-5m Gen2. Which one is the best bang for the buck for TRR duty?

Elite 5M is a good unit for the money, the HDS-5 requires an external antenna that cost $200 unless you have good line of site for the unit. I have the elite and have had great luck with it.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The goal this year is to have a file with Hazards marked. It will probably cost $10, just so I can recoup the gas money I spent making the file. It will definitely be a more complete file than last year. I will have it in all the common formats. .usr, .gpx, .kml, etc...

Elite 5M is a good unit for the money, the HDS-5 requires an external antenna that cost $200 unless you have good line of site for the unit. I have the elite and have had great luck with it.

Is that file something we can pay for and download a few weeks before the run?

Dave

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Is that file something we can pay for and download a few weeks before the run?

Dave

Probably not. I will most likely make the file the week of the run. I am very familiar with all sorts of GPS units, and will have no problem making the file work on whatever unit you get (as long as its not a weird Chinese one.)

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not. I will most likely make the file the week of the run. I am very familiar with all sorts of GPS units, and will have no problem making the file work on whatever unit you get (as long as its not a weird Chinese one.)

Lol nope just a regular Garmin handheld.

Dave

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks for the info Its on the list(the list is getting really long!)

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With a long list, you should prioritize what you need. Look at the TRR report and see what was really used. Their were completely stock to heavily modified.

Also a good time to start that Christmas list :D

Joe

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With a long list, you should prioritize what you need. Look at the TRR report and see what was really used. Their were completely stock to heavily modified.

Also a good time to start that Christmas list :D

Joe

I'm way beyond that have used and excel work book that i built years ago to track where to buy, how much ,which phase ,esc. this way i make sure every thing i do is compatable with the completed build.