Texas Raptor Run April 13-15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The elite 5m or HDS-5 are both good. The 5m comes with an external antenna. But it lacks features like a trip calculator and distance rings. I have the 5M and have been happy with it.
Elite 5m

The HDS-5 does not, if you mount on the dash you dont need an antenna, but if you can't get good signal then you have to buy a $200 external antenna
HDS-5

For a radio I suggest the Icom F5021. I have the older model the F121. I actually bought it somewhere else and programmed it myself (I had to buy a programming cable too. You can go this route for less money, but it can be a pain.
PCI Chase Package

hey treypal another question whats the difference between the elite-5m baja and just the regular elite-5m?

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
hey treypal another question whats the difference between the elite-5m baja and just the regular elite-5m?

Good question. I think they are pretty much the same. The elite 5m (non baja) may have some fish finding stuff on the menu or something. I know people that have run non baja versions of lowrances and its basically the same.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ahh ok yea i was checking all the models out on the Lowrance website there are some pretty sweet ones on there but like you said they're all fish finders and chartplotters for lakes and stuff im wondering if you could just take all the fish finding stuff off hmm well thanks for the info treypal!

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The guys at Outlaw were telling me that even though both units have a built in antenna, the HDS-5 can sometimes require the external antenna ($200). However, the Elite 5M will not need that antenna. A trade off to consider is that the HDS-5 has some better features compared to the Elite-5M. I personally am going the Elite 5M route as I don't want to drop another $200 for the external antenna.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yea im with you on that one tizz haha 200 for an external is a bit much so i will be getting the elite 5m and for a radio i got lucky my dad drove truck cross country for about 20 years and he has a very nice cobra 29 LTD radio just sitting in the garage hes gonna be sending me :waytogo: now i just gotta get a nice bed mount for the antenna . after that i should be set up for the run in april!

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Just an FYI, Lowrance is fixing to release updated software for the Elite that is supposed to have a trip calculator and some other things. I'll try to install it tonight (got a beta copy), and I'll report back.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly my thought process... how are you mounting yours? I'm going to roll the dice on the Outlaw mount...

I'm going with the Outlaw mount as well. I like that you can use all pre-existing holes to mount it up.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

The elite 5m or HDS-5 are both good. The 5m comes with an external antenna. But it lacks features like a trip calculator and distance rings. I have the 5M and have been happy with it.
Elite 5m

The HDS-5 does not, if you mount on the dash you dont need an antenna, but if you can't get good signal then you have to buy a $200 external antenna
HDS-5

For a radio I suggest the Icom F5021. I have the older model the F121. I actually bought it somewhere else and programmed it myself (I had to buy a programming cable too. You can go this route for less money, but it can be a pain.
PCI Chase Package

The guys at Outlaw were telling me that even though both units have a built in antenna, the HDS-5 can sometimes require the external antenna ($200). However, the Elite 5M will not need that antenna. A trade off to consider is that the HDS-5 has some better features compared to the Elite-5M. I personally am going the Elite 5M route as I don't want to drop another $200 for the external antenna.

Ooops... Didn't read Trey's previous post before posting! :doh2:

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got an OK from the boss to hit this. Only about 750 miles for me. I'll shoot trey an email with my info. I'll plan on bringing some toys too. :)