Tailgate Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the masterlock but I taped it with black duct tape to keep it from rattling and wearing the paint. I figured that if i needed to take the tailgate off i would just peel the tape off to insert the key. At this point in time I have no reason to take the tailgate off so its been okay for now. But I could see if i did not tape it that it could get corrosion and be a potential problem.

I too wrapped it in thick gorilla tape, hoping to protect the paint. It was less than effective from a long term standpoint and ended up making the whole thing a gooey hot mess. I hate tape glue, personal peeve.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am impressed with both the Masterlock & JimmyJammer models. I bought the Masterlock and it is working fine. However, I see how it can have a limited lifespan in areas with high humidity. (I live near the ocean). Plus I don't presently have any application where I intend to take off the tailgate, so I went ahead and also ordered the Gait Keeper. One of these days I'll switch it out. One can't have enough toys for a Raptor.

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the gatekeeper with a hose clamp underneath it. I also have a pop n lock. It is a royal pain to take off, and I know how much it costs to replace a tailgate.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am impressed with both the Masterlock & JimmyJammer models. I bought the Masterlock and it is working fine. However, I see how it can have a limited lifespan in areas with high humidity. (I live near the ocean). Plus I don't presently have any application where I intend to take off the tailgate, so I went ahead and also ordered the Gait Keeper. One of these days I'll switch it out. One can't have enough toys for a Raptor.

Here is an update on the Masterlock. I noticed that when closing the tailgate, it will move into a position that prevents the tailgate from closing. It has worn a nice gouge into the metal. I think I will switch out to the Gait Keeper soon.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's an update on the stainless steel hose clamp. I noticed my tailgate is still attached to the truck. I guess that $1.25 was money well spent.

My point is, you don't have to spend a lot of money to protect your stuff. You just need to be creative and one step ahead of the bad guys.