SPD 170 Thermostat install today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
onthebrake

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at 260, just about every ounce of coolant dumped out of the truck. It took 50 yards from the time it spiked to 245 till the time the truck hit thermal shutdown and spiked to 265+. It was 128 degrees outside, so it was not a fun experience. Actually had to refill the radiator with cooler water bc thats all that I had available to me.
SPOOKY. I was on my way to those temps... I think the highest I happen to look down and see it was 240 and that made me nervous enough to buy a 170 stat.

OP
OP
onthebrake

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
40 degrees outside with me running 90mph....my water temps are 210-218.......will drop to 200 at 35mph........maybe add 5 degrees to those numbers in the summer.

it is my understanding with this motor, it will not run correct at temps below 185ish.
I can understand a diesel needing to run warm, but with an aluminum block and heads, I want to stay cool.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’re made to run at a specific temperature range. Cooler isn’t always better. Glad OP is running better. Right around 200-210 is probably ideal for an aluminum engine. 230 isn’t that bad for sitting in traffic fwiw.

OP
OP
onthebrake

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I think about my over heating issues . . It all started just a few months ago when I had my cam phasers replaced. It was not like this before the warranty work was done. I remember because after the cam phasers were placed, I started noticing my fans were on almost all the time. I even had one of the mechanics drive it home and they said everything was fine. Odd . . . . . I hope there isn't another problem and I merely just solved it at the thermostat. Luckily the truck is still under warranty.

OP
OP
onthebrake

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet they left an air bubble in the system.
Maybe . . .. But wouldn't that of worked out over time ? When I got the truck back from the cam phaser fix, the coolant was over filled and I had to use a turkey baster to remove a couple cups of coolant. The level stayed the same afterwards.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems more plausible than one Raptor out of a hundred thousand or whatever that didn’t function in moderate temperatures on a stock cooling system. But I can’t say for certain from here. The recent work definitely adds some questions.

A bubble would make it seem overfilled. I’ve been through some painful bleeding processes. A 99 Sunfire comes to mind. They don’t usually mildly misbehave like yours did. Usually that just overheats as soon as you’re up to temperature.

Michael Jann

Reaction score
Cooler is not always better, I live in Oklahoma so I see temps from 20 degrees to 110 in summer. I just purchased this raptor a week ago and I’ve seen temps around 215 on highway at 75mph and it’s 45 degrees out. I want to change mine to a 170 for cooling purposes but I’m not quite sure if I’ll need to have someone tune it because I’m pretty sure cooler temps change air/fuel ratio and you start to see worse mpgs (which idc about). I’m looking for longevity not really a “race” truck. This truck will more than likely be a pavement pounder.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Cooler is not always better, I live in Oklahoma so I see temps from 20 degrees to 110 in summer. I just purchased this raptor a week ago and I’ve seen temps around 215 on highway at 75mph and it’s 45 degrees out. I want to change mine to a 170 for cooling purposes but I’m not quite sure if I’ll need to have someone tune it because I’m pretty sure cooler temps change air/fuel ratio and you start to see worse mpgs (which idc about). I’m looking for longevity not really a “race” truck. This truck will more than likely be a pavement pounder.

the motor running cooler ( as long as it stays over 180) means that the computer can advance timing without inducing knock. a cooler motor runs more efficiently and makes more power.

As far as AFR goes, lean is mean. The computer will adjust appropriately without the need for a tune.

The only thing that sometimes should get tuned is when the fans come on and cut off. But it depends on your use case and isn't required.