SPD 170 Thermostat install today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
That’s pretty nuts you can hit temps that high without the truck over heating. Water boils at 212 I always thought after roughly that temp you would over heat.....pretty crazy temps can get that high. Wonder what kinda antifreeze is in them
at 260, just about every ounce of coolant dumped out of the truck. It took 50 yards from the time it spiked to 245 till the time the truck hit thermal shutdown and spiked to 265+. It was 128 degrees outside, so it was not a fun experience. Actually had to refill the radiator with cooler water bc thats all that I had available to me.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s pretty nuts you can hit temps that high without the truck over heating. Water boils at 212 I always thought after roughly that temp you would over heat.....pretty crazy temps can get that high. Wonder what kinda antifreeze is in them

the properties of radiator fluid, + compression of that fluid, raise the boiling point to something close to 300.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI coolant (anti freeze) sucks at heat transfer. It actually makes the engine run hotter. If you ran 100% distilled water you would have better temps, but then you'd have to deal with corrosion and freezing at colder temps.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
FYI coolant (anti freeze) sucks at heat transfer. It actually makes the engine run hotter. If you ran 100% distilled water you would have better temps, but then you'd have to deal with corrosion and freezing at colder temps.

I think the last time that I actually had the truck in freezing temps was a year ago, when I drove it from Louisiana to SF, then down to SD, through Mexico and back to New Orleans.

I'm going to have to seriously consider switching to straight distilled water and some waterwetter type stuff for a little bit of lubrication.

I highly doubt that I'll ever run my truck in freezing temps again, but if I know I'm gonna be doing it, I can always put coolant into it.

DreadPirateRaptor

Reaction score
I think the last time that I actually had the truck in freezing temps was a year ago, when I drove it from Louisiana to SF, then down to SD, through Mexico and back to New Orleans.

I'm going to have to seriously consider switching to straight distilled water and some waterwetter type stuff for a little bit of lubrication.

I highly doubt that I'll ever run my truck in freezing temps again, but if I know I'm gonna be doing it, I can always put coolant into it.

https://www.evanscoolant.com/

In my time with rotaries and big boost drag cars, this has always served me well.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Hy-Per Lube is a much better alternative to water wetter... I'd be concerned about corrosion without the anti freeze though - mixed metals and water are a recipe for bad things happening. Interestingly, Hy-per Lube suggests NOT using distilled water at all...

https://www.hyperlube.com/blog/blog/why-you-should-never-use-distilled-water-in-your-cooling-system/

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Hy-Per Lube is a much better alternative to water wetter... I'd be concerned about corrosion without the anti freeze though - mixed metals and water are a recipe for bad things happening. Interestingly, Hy-per Lube suggests NOT using distilled water at all...

https://www.hyperlube.com/blog/blog/why-you-should-never-use-distilled-water-in-your-cooling-system/

I guess what I meant was " a waterwetter-like" chemical. :)

but, that article is super interesting. I guess hyperlube it is!