Raptor vs. 4Runner TRD Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed. If Ford does indeed have a V8 option, they will save it for the Gen3. No way they do it on the Gen2.

Gen1 >> 2010-2014 ... so 5 years
Gen2 >> 2017-2021 ... assuming a 5 year run
Gen3 >> 2024- ... assuming a 2 year break like between the Gen1 and Gen2

Long time to wait to see if they have a V8 option.

Why wouldn't they do it for Gen2? They updated the engine in Gen1... Ford is going to want to stay competitive when the TRX is released, and that'll be well before 2024. I'm not exactly confident there'll be a V8, but I can't see them sticking solely with the 3.5EB til 2024 either.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they do it for Gen2? They updated the engine in Gen1... Ford is going to want to stay competitive when the TRX is released, and that'll be well before 2024. I'm not exactly confident there'll be a V8, but I can't see them sticking solely with the 3.5EB til 2024 either.

They only changed the engine in the gen1 because the eventual engine they used wasn't ready for the first model year like it was supposed to be .

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They only changed the engine in the gen1 because the eventual engine they used wasn't ready for the first model year like it was supposed to be .

Exactly like it is now though, right? What else would they of used in the Gen2? Surely not the 6.2 again, at least not w/o major reworking (so there is a significant HP jump from Gen1 to Gen2). And the 5.0 is a great engine, but not exactly up to ***** in a high performance truck... Not bashing either engine, just saying I can see why they didn't use either one. And they don't/didn't really have another option. I'm hoping the new Super Duty gas engine changes that. Or even the new GT500 (though I highly doubt they'd use that engine).

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The possibility of Ford going away from the 3.5L 6 is ZERO. But let's indulge ourselves for a quick min. Ford has invested heavily in turbos so why not do 4.0L V8 turbo? McLaren uses a 4.0L V8 turbo in in the 720 that produces 700+ HP.

Ford could start with a 3.5L V8 turbo and just increment every year or 2 with more power.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised they haven't made a small displacement V8 ecoboost honestly. If they put as much engineering effort into naturally aspirated V8s as they have ecoboosts, I feel like they'd be nearly just as efficient if not more. Hell, Car and Driver just tested the new GMC 4cyl truck and it get's worse gas mileage than it's V8 cousin. Just goes to show it's not all about cylinder count (which most of us knew anyway).

I hate to admit, but I'm afraid the Gen3 will be an ecoboost hybrid. I'm still holding my breath for that new Super Duty engine though. Or, just imagine the TRX hits with 700hp hellcat engine. What are the chances Ford would just drop the 700+hp Mustang engine in the Rap? Very slim, but I feel like it's a small possibility because manufactures play the numbers game all the time to try to best each other.

"I'm buying a Raptor for mpg" said no one ever. I wish Ford would realize that.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm really surprised they haven't made a small displacement V8 ecoboost honestly. If they put as much engineering effort into naturally aspirated V8s as they have ecoboosts, I feel like they'd be nearly just as efficient if not more. Hell, Car and Driver just tested the new GMC 4cyl truck and it get's worse gas mileage than it's V8 cousin. Just goes to show it's not all about cylinder count (which most of us knew anyway).

I hate to admit, but I'm afraid the Gen3 will be an ecoboost hybrid. I'm still holding my breath for that new Super Duty engine though. Or, just imagine the TRX hits with 700hp hellcat engine. What are the chances Ford would just drop the 700+hp Mustang engine in the Rap? Very slim, but I feel like it's a small possibility because manufactures play the numbers game all the time to try to best each other.

"I'm buying a Raptor for mpg" said no one ever. I wish Ford would realize that.

A lot of people on this forum don't understand how turbos work and what makes it efficient.

At full boost, it is doubling the amount of air entering the combustion chamber. That also means it is doubling the fuel being consumed. That gives our 3.5L V6TT the appetite of a 7.0L V12! There is no free lunch and to put out 450 hp takes 450 hp worth of fuel regardless of how many cylinders there are.

The fuel economy benefits come when you are out of the boost. That's when we are only feeding a modest 3.5L V6 instead of a far larger V8. It is the ultimate form of "cylinder deactivation".

The C&D article you referenced stated they were in the boost when driving their fuel economy run at 75mph and is why it consumed as much fuel as the larger engine. They even admitted as much in their article. The big difference in MPG comes when out of the boost at speeds around 55mph for Chevy's I4TT.

As for strapping on an electric motor to our 450hp V6TT that would give us an obscene amount of torque off the line, I say bring it on!