Raptor vs. 4Runner TRD Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katchup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a cement T4R Pro while I was shopping for the right Raptor, good rig, but not even close to a raptor. I would never downgrade and go back.

Heeter87

Reaction score
The 4runner is bulletproof. I currently have an 06 4runner with 115k miles, only thing I have done is change the oil and replace the brakes. I am planning to trade it in for a Raptor in the next few months, but have gone back and forth between the Raptor and the TRD Pro. I like the new body style of the 4runner, but it is really dated. It essentially has the same drive train as my 06, but I put a new head unit in with apple car play so in that aspect it is a step backwards. My only concern with the Raptor is seeing all the threads on here about the issues people are having, since I plan to keep it for a while. If I were you I would get a Raptor since you already have a TRD Pro, especially if you are only planning to keep for a few years.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to take everything with a grain of salt when you come to a car forum. For example. there are guys here that complain about their leaf-spring squeaking when they are running aftermarket leaf-springs. Also, it is human nature that people who have issues complain and folks who never have an issue just don't comment either way, good or bad.

As everyone has said, you cannot compare a toyota TRD pro taco or 4runner to a Raptor. The Raptor is so far ahead in every way. You can't even compare a Tundra Pro or Rebel to a Raptor. The Raptor has no competitors. YES, it is a 70K truck BUT it has very low depreciation simply because there is no alternative.

Don't get me wrong, Toyota makes a good product BUT they are so conservative that their product is JUST BORING.

Ford is very innovative and they push to the F150 wherever they can.

If you make the switch, you will never go back.

The 4runner is bulletproof. I currently have an 06 4runner with 115k miles, only thing I have done is change the oil and replace the brakes. I am planning to trade it in for a Raptor in the next few months, but have gone back and forth between the Raptor and the TRD Pro. I like the new body style of the 4runner, but it is really dated. It essentially has the same drive train as my 06, but I put a new head unit in with apple car play so in that aspect it is a step backwards. My only concern with the Raptor is seeing all the threads on here about the issues people are having, since I plan to keep it for a while. If I were you I would get a Raptor since you already have a TRD Pro, especially if you are only planning to keep for a few years.

jshemmy

Reaction score
Love this thread! Because I have been in the same boat and will be again.

Like the person who started this, I always want something that is eye catching and there are not a lot of them out there. Thus my going to be one year old 18 Raptor Screw Lead Foot.

I've had at one point in time all of the trucks mentioned here (not TRD pro models)

I had a 2008 Tundra Limited, best truck I ever had! I purchased the 100k warranty and with about 98k on it took it to my dealership for warranty checks before we went on vacation. Oh and I said give me a trade in value while I am gone. We returned from Florida and nothing wrong with the truck and we will give you $32,000 for the truck, WHAT? God's honest truth (back in 2010 or 11'?)

anyways, went to a new Limited 4 runner and many trucks since then.

When buying my Raptor last year I wanted a Tundra Pro but just could not find one. I also obviously wanted a Raptor also but those were hard to come by as well.

I found the right Raptor and bought it on the spot (dealership wanted 10k over, I told him to get bent) got a fair deal on it.

I was at a Toyota Dealership this past Saturday (not shopping) and saw the Blue 2019 Tundra pro, looks sweet sitting there. However getting into it it looks almost exactly like my 2008.
Now I know they have done a lot to the truck, but looks the dam same! Spoke with a sales rep for a bit about it and he told me what is new and he told me he took a Raptor on trade for a TRD Pro Tacoma because the customer told him he feels safer in a Tacoma! HA Ha, the sales kid was barely 20 years old!

I agree with all these threads, the technology in the other trucks do not compare to the Raptor. It is an eye catcher for sure.

My only complaint, I own a construction company and when I drive up to a site (as the owner of the company) people always say, he drives a Raptor he must be ******** us on price! I just heard it today in fact.

Truth be told, any new high end truck costs a fortune now! (except maybe TRD Pro)
2019 Ram 1500 Black edition $65,000 (real nice truck)
2019 GMC 4 blck $68,000
Loaded Lariat is as much.

So, go with the Raptor, excellent truck.

I get a new truck every year to 18 months, this is going to be tough to let it go.

Heeter87

Reaction score
You have to take everything with a grain of salt when you come to a car forum. For example. there are guys here that complain about their leaf-spring squeaking when they are running aftermarket leaf-springs. Also, it is human nature that people who have issues complain and folks who never have an issue just don't comment either way, good or bad.

As everyone has said, you cannot compare a toyota TRD pro taco or 4runner to a Raptor. The Raptor is so far ahead in every way. You can't even compare a Tundra Pro or Rebel to a Raptor. The Raptor has no competitors. YES, it is a 70K truck BUT it has very low depreciation simply because there is no alternative.

Don't get me wrong, Toyota makes a good product BUT they are so conservative that their product is JUST BORING.

Ford is very innovative and they push to the F150 wherever they can.

If you make the switch, you will never go back.
I agree, I was just comparing the things I see on this forum to the T4R forum. It definitely seems like there are more threads regarding big issues regarding transmission failures, buybacks, lemon laws, etc. than on the T4R forum. But also agree these issues are not something the majority of Raptor owners experience and there are definitely people who have had issues with their 4runners. No question the Raptor is far superior in terms of technology and performance.

I have been contacting dealers looking for a good deal on a Raptor, so that is the direction I am currently heading. I never believe the rumors until they are confirmed, but may end up just holding out to see if the 2020 does get a facelift and the V8. Will see if some more solid information comes out this spring/summer when I am a little closer to being ready to pull the trigger. https://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-f-150-raptor-to-receive-fords-new-7-0l-dohc-v8-motor/

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree, I was just comparing the things I see on this forum to the T4R forum. It definitely seems like there are more threads regarding big issues regarding transmission failures, buybacks, lemon laws, etc. than on the T4R forum. But also agree these issues are not something the majority of Raptor owners experience and there are definitely people who have had issues with their 4runners. No question the Raptor is far superior in terms of technology and performance.

I have been contacting dealers looking for a good deal on a Raptor, so that is the direction I am currently heading. I never believe the rumors until they are confirmed, but may end up just holding out to see if the 2020 does get a facelift and the V8. Will see if some more solid information comes out this spring/summer when I am a little closer to being ready to pull the trigger. https://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-f-150-raptor-to-receive-fords-new-7-0l-dohc-v8-motor/

The 2019 model got the "facelift" with new shocks.

Will not likely see any major changes/updates until 2021 or more likely 2022.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

The grill and headlights are still the same though. The new shocks might be considered mid generation calf implants? lol

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
agreed. If Ford does indeed have a V8 option, they will save it for the Gen3. No way they do it on the Gen2.

Gen1 >> 2010-2014 ... so 5 years
Gen2 >> 2017-2021 ... assuming a 5 year run
Gen3 >> 2024- ... assuming a 2 year break like between the Gen1 and Gen2

Long time to wait to see if they have a V8 option.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grill and headlights are still the same though. The new shocks might be considered mid generation calf implants? lol

The grill and headlights on the base 150 were refreshed but it was decided to keep them the same on the Raptor and focus on the shocks and a few other things in this refresh.