Raptor vs. 4Runner TRD Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mstgkillr

Reaction score
Yes, I already know… two completely different vehicles. However, they are my two favorites at this point, and they do share some similarities e.g., rugged appearance, off-road capable, unique, excellent resale, etc. Like most, I will never use either vehicle to its full capability, not even close. I do some very mild off-roading, which either vehicle could handle without a problem. A stock F-150 could handle anything that I’ll ever throw at it.

I lost a supercharged 2002 Trans-Am WS.6 (with 15k miles) and a 2017 Sierra Denali in a recent house fire. I have always been a GM guy with a fast car and a truck (usually lifted). After the fire, I decided to buy my wife a white 2018 4Runner TRD Pro and planned to drive her old car for a while, so that I could do a little research on the Raptor and 2019 GMC AT4.

I had all intentions of buying a replacement truck, but I fell in love with her Pro, so I went out a got myself a Cavalry Blue 4Runner TRD Pro. I have received more complements on my Pro than all of my other vehicles combined! I am not exaggerating, I get no less than a complement a week, usually more! Not to mention, I know of only one other Pro in the area compared to at least 10 Raptors… I like having a unique vehicle that stands out.

The Pro is an excellent vehicle, probably my favorite truck/SUV type that I’ve owned, but I really think I would love the Raptor also and I’m kind of missing the truck bed a little. Maybe it’s just the Raptor’s appearance or the fact that I have never owned one. I drive about 36,000 miles/year, so I either need to keep it until it rots or replace it every few years. Reliability, appearance, comfort and resale are all top concerns.

Anyone come over from a 4Runner TRD Pro and have regrets? Anyone considering a 4Runner TRD Pro?

SD1290

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded my Tundra in for the Raptor. I’ve owned 2 4runners in the past, the Raptor is in a different league, I’d recommend test driving one, wouldn’t be surprised if that seals it for you. The suspension, frame and control arms are far superior than anything Toyota puts out currently

BudTX

Reaction score
I shopped between the two in 2017. My wife had bought a new 2017 4Runner Limited, and I was impressed with it. The same dealer had a 4Runner TRD Pro in Cement that I took on a test drive. I also drove a new Gen 2 Raptor during that same time period.

While I like the TRD Pro, and probably would have been happy with one, it was no comparison in ride, comfort, power and amenities to the Raptor. I ended up ordering a 2018 Raptor built to my specifications. The price difference between my speced out Raptor and the loaded 4Runner TRD Pro was nearly $20k, though.

brent95m3

Reaction score
I’m selling my TRD Pro and have 1400 miles on my Raptor. The 4Runner does everything adequately and is a great all around SUV. It’s easy to park, comfortable, looks pretty good...if you can get over the size and parking though, the Raptor is just special. I love looking back at it when I park. It is fun to drive, fast, supremely comfortable, luxurious with lots of tech. The 4runner doesn’t exceed the Raptor at any of these except ease of parking.

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife has a 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner and I have a 2018 Raptor, while they are both nice vehicles, the Raptor’s speed and the ability to constantly drive it fast gets me yelled at by the wife every time I drive her 4Runner. I can hear her already “you can’t drive my car (she calls it a car) like you drive your truck...” I usually drive my truck like I stole it and it laughs at anything the road can throw at it.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I agree, I have both and now the 4Runner just collects dust. No even in the same league. Love the runner and won’t get rid of it but drive the raptor.

BigCSS78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before my Raptor I had a 2015 Trail premium 4Runner (trd Offroad premium now) and was originally going to get a TRD Pro but found a demo for enough of a discount it was worth it. I put Total Chaos a-arms and icon suspension on it and was still less than a pro, with better performance. That rig got lots of compliments and constantly mistaken for a pro (I had the gunmetal optional TRD pro wheels). That being said the 4Runner was gutless, throttle response sucked, it towed like crap, and didn’t ride as nice as my Raptor either. The one good thing is I did sell it for more than I originally paid stock after putting almost 35000 miles on it, so it was a very low rent vehicle during that time since I managed to buy all my accessories at considerable discount due to group buys or other luck.
JYTqJeK.jpg

Last edited:

Cristian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice family suv but doesn’t come close to performance compared to the raptor. I have a 2016 4runner limited for the gf and it’s boring to drive so I’m getting myself a raptor

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I briefly considered a 4 Runner before buying a Raptor. The thing is just way to under powered IMO. As an off-road vehicle I'm sure I'd have been happy with it. In fact, for most of the off-road adventures I go on, it might be better than the raptor due to it's smaller size. But on the road however, there's just nothing engaging about it at all. It doesn't handle well, which is expected with a body-on-frame SUV, but it's also slow as molasses. While I don't consider the Raptor a particularly "fast" vehicle, it is pretty quick and the sound of the turbos is pretty sweet too. On the road, a 4-runner might as well be a Corolla in terms of fun-to-drive. The interior is also quite dated.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 4Runner Limited with a few mods before my gen1 Raptor. I really liked the 4Runner, its a great SUV. Reliable as all heck. Fairly off road capable. I wanted more truck and the Raptor was all that and more. Now my gen2 blows away the gen1 and I'd think any 4Runner as well.