GEN 2 Pulled the trigger on a 2020 Rocky Ridge Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly... he's dividing by 2 because who cares what the sidewall is from the center of the rim up to the 12 O'clock portion of the tire... only the sidewall from the center of the rim down to the 6 O'clock portion of the tire touching the ground is providing any protection from rocks and stuff and actively providing cushioning/bounce.

And I gotta say... I'm finding it pretty hard to believe a measly half inch is so super-serious as to literally be night and day from the stock set-up. C'mon, now... I think people here just hate 20's because... well... they just do and stuff!
Sidewall, as stated as a percentage of tread width is not the total of sidewall, top and bottom.

That’s why you double sidewall when you figure wheel height.

Stock 315 x 70 r17

Treadwidth = 315mm = 12.4”
Sidewall = 220.5mm = 8.7”
Wheel = 17”

Total = 8.7 + 8.7 + 17 = 34.4” (a “35”)

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently the only mods allowed by this forum to make it “your own” Is method wheels, BD lights, and some floor mats. Anything else is a shameful insult to the ford engineering gods. Heaven forbid someone void a warranty as seen here an angry mob will come after you.

Nobody is “disallowing” mods. We are all entitled to our opinion of them, though.

If my wife, or one of her friends, puts on some ugly shoes and asks how I like them, I know better than to give anything other than the pre-approved answer.

If my buddy puts ugly wheels on his truck and asks me what I think, he gets the truth.

I think I now know which camp to put you in.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I might as well chime in on the tire discussion. 17s vs 20s. Been a long time since any 20s were run in the desert race scene. Can’t really remember any actually(might have been a few). While I know that many Raptors see very little serious off roading, the heritage is still there. 17s just give such a wide variety of choices. They work. There is a reason they are the only thing you see in the desert. Oh yea, Methods work pretty well also. Haha Now back to the mud slinging 61341805-CB09-497C-BE1C-B0CD2836A958.jpeg