POLL: If Ford offers engine option (V6 and V8), which one would you pick?

Which engine would you choose in the 2017 raptor?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its not baseless nonsense when Ford has already said its a lighter truck. I suspect a little came from the aluminum vs cast iron block among other things like the aluminum body.

As of right now everything is speculation since no hard numbers have been released. But going off of what has been released we know the Gen 2 is lighter, stronger, and faster than the outgoing Gen 1.

Its also not baseless to say an aluminum block is lighter than a cast iron block. Youre just looking for an argument at this point and its not going to happen.

Yes, we know the truck is lighter overall. That's not up for debate. But you're just guessing that the powertrain is lighter. And you're going around here spouting off as if that is a fact...

Because its heavy, outdated, and under-powered. Like its been said before, if there is ever going to be a v8 option its not going to be the 6.2L but a ttv8 or the flat plane v8 they are putting into the mustangs.

When people say a v6 doesnt belong in a truck all I can hear is someone saying; "Newer, lighter, better technology doesnt belong in a truck". But to each their own. The best part is no one is forcing anyone to buy the Gen 2.

I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just pointing out that you don't really know what you're talking about.

I'm also still waiting to hear what the better technology you were referring to is.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, we know the truck is lighter overall. That's not up for debate. But you're just guessing that the powertrain is lighter. And you're going around here spouting off as if that is a fact...

I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just pointing out that you don't really know what you're talking about.

I'm also still waiting to hear what the better technology you were referring to is.

Bruh, it's pretty safe to say that aluminum block = lighter. Just because the guy can't find the exact specs doesn't mean it's not true, or at the very least highly probable.

Take a look at the official Ford releases, watch a couple youtube interviews, etc. You can start right here: https://social.ford.com/content/for...look.html?fmccmp=lp-future-top-hp-2017-raptor

You're really killing the vibe in here. Don't be that guy.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bruh, it's pretty safe to say that aluminum block = lighter. Just because the guy can't find the exact specs doesn't mean it's not true, or at the very least highly probable.

Take a look at the official Ford releases, watch a couple youtube interviews, etc. You can start right here: https://social.ford.com/content/for...look.html?fmccmp=lp-future-top-hp-2017-raptor

You're really killing the vibe in here. Don't be that guy.

It's cute that you guys are sticking together. That wouldn't be the result of a circle jerk would it?

I know all about the new truck and I really like it. But I personally don't believe a 3.5 liter V6 with twin turbos, an intercooler, all the associated plumbing, and a 10 speed is going to be much lighter than a naturally aspirated 6.2 with a 6 speed.

Thanks for the advice though, bruh. Here's a piece of advice for you. It's the internet. Don't take it so seriously.

TurboTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone ever choose a smaller engine?? I don't understand......
It's not the size of the engine that is appealing, it's the ability to tune more aggressively and pull insane numbers on the dyno. My vote is for the ecoboost.

Darb

Reaction score
It's not the size of the engine that is appealing, it's the ability to tune more aggressively and pull insane numbers on the dyno. My vote is for the ecoboost.
You're expecting an ecoboost v6 to make more power than an ecoboost v8?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let me educate you.

When the 3.5L V6 EB comes out in the Ford GT, it will be an all new EB. IN other words, it shares nothing with the current EB in the 2015 F150.

"Calling the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 that's destined for the new Ford GT and second-generation Raptor pickup a high-output version is a bit disingenuous. Ford basically wiped the slate clean to make it, retaining only the displacement measurement—and, you know, the fact it has six cylinders in a vee configuration fed by turbochargers and direct injection.

It starts with a new block, heads, pistons, and intake, plus bigger turbos. Ford adds a dual-injection system, a combination of port and direct fuel injection, like Subaru uses on the BRZ/FR-S motor. That makes the H.O. 3.5 the first and only EcoBoost engine to use port injection. Ford calls this a second-generation EcoBoost, so maybe that dual-injection scheme will spread to other engines.
"

So why did Ford choose a smaller engine? Simply put, to go racing at lemans:

https://youtu.be/nVa4mlFZEmM

If the Ford GT were to run let's say a v8 EB then they would be heavily penalized at Le Man. So Ford developed a smaller engine to go racing. And to not waste too much money on a race car and also a super sports car (GT), the technology will trickle down to the Raptor. As of right now, only the GT and 2017 Raptor will use this new 3.5L V6 EB. Numbers have not been released but this new engine will put out 600hp easily in the GT. I know the Raptor will have a detuned version (smaller turbos) but I think guys would be ecstatic if the 2017 raptor were to put out 500 foot-pounds and 500HP ... and have the possibility of much more.

Why would anyone ever choose a smaller engine?? I don't understand......

Last edited: