POLL: If Ford offers engine option (V6 and V8), which one would you pick?

Which engine would you choose in the 2017 raptor?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You do realize that gear 10 will be close to ratio as 6 is today. There's just more gears between to best utilize torque. Final drive ratio will be extremely close to current ratio

The whole point of the 10 speed is to reduce power lag.

I've drivers bmw's in Germany with 7& 8 speed trans. Even an m sport across Germany to Czech, at first I was hesitant and didn't see why, but in the end I was impressed.

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because its heavy, outdated, and under-powered. Like its been said before, if there is ever going to be a v8 option its not going to be the 6.2L but a ttv8 or the flat plane v8 they are putting into the mustangs.

Again, how much heavier is the 6.2 vs the 3.5 EB? What about the 6L80 vs the 10 speed?

Please share your facts and the source of said facts.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Again, how much heavier is the 6.2 vs the 3.5 EB? What about the 6L80 vs the 10 speed?

Please share your facts and the source of said facts.

Well the 6.2L is built on a CAST IRON block vs the EB 3.5L which is an all aluminum setup. I know the current 3.5L EB comes in at 449lbs. I cant find the weight of the 6.2L if anyone would like to chime in if they know that info. Same goes for the 10 speed tranny.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well the 6.2L is built on a CAST IRON block vs the EB 3.5L which is an all aluminum setup. I know the current 3.5L EB comes in at 449lbs. I cant find the weight of the 6.2L if anyone would like to chime in if they know that info. Same goes for the 10 speed tranny.

I'm aware of what my engine is made of.

But you're claiming the EB is lighter weight and you're not backing it up with facts. I'm actually interested to know what the entire EB assembly weighs. Sure the block 6 cylinder aluminum block is lighter but what about the two turbos and their plumbing, the intercooler and fluid, all the extra mounts, hoses, etc. And of course the 4 extra gears.

All that has to add up. Let's not forget that at first we were told the aluminum body would save 800 pounds but then told the Gen 2 Raptor would only be 500 pounds lighter. Sounds like some of that weight went into the beefier frame, maybe a few pounds in the new transfer case, but where's the rest?

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why not ask them what they are doing and why.

Register for FRF's Havoc in the Hills and attend the Q&A Session with Ford Performance during the banquet.

_FPQicLqEQm-a2cCKU5W_1Bq5knRLTM0AVHc=w1900-h780-no.png

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone's worried about the v6. I had a great Sti with an turbo 4 that was the best engine I ever had. I'am going v6 and swapping those turbos out for some race ready ones like I did on my supra in high school, and we're going to make all those v8's look like a thing of the past.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone's worried about the v6. I had a great Sti with an turbo 4 that was the best engine I ever had. I'am going v6 and swapping those turbos out for some race ready ones like I did on my supra in high school, and we're going to make all those v8's look like a thing of the past.

I'm not personally worried about the V6. I think the new truck is awesome. I'd just prefer a V8. And I also don't like it when people spew baseless nonsense.

Btw, people have been saying that about V8s for decades. Still waiting for it to happen.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not personally worried about the V6. I think the new truck is awesome. I'd just prefer a V8. And I also don't like it when people spew baseless nonsense.

Btw, people have been saying that about V8s for decades. Still waiting for it to happen.

7drHiqr.gif

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Its not baseless nonsense when Ford has already said its a lighter truck. I suspect a little came from the aluminum vs cast iron block among other things like the aluminum body.

As of right now everything is speculation since no hard numbers have been released. But going off of what has been released we know the Gen 2 is lighter, stronger, and faster than the outgoing Gen 1.

Its also not baseless to say an aluminum block is lighter than a cast iron block. Youre just looking for an argument at this point and its not going to happen.

I currently have the subaru turbo 2.5 motor stuffed into one of my subarus and its a fantastic little motor.