Perch Mod Discussion

Mid perch or no?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khandis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mid Perch Req.

I have been browsing the forum for a while, but I still can't seem to find out if mid-perch is required if I buy 35x12.5x17 wheel/tire shoes for my ride... there shouldn't be any rubbing that's not a plus size?

I'm REALLLLLLLY newby with this stuff btw

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock 315/70R17 tires aren't quite 35" tall, so a true 35 would be a little bigger. Some with 35" tires say they rub, but I think it really depends on which tires you choose and what wheels they're installed on. I'd recommend mid-perch either way. There are a lot of write ups on going to mid-perch and even videos on YouTube.

Mid Perch Mod - YouTube

RigChaser962

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well it took the better part of a Saturday but my '11 Screw (on its 3rd salt infested winter) is on mid perch!

I heard the horror stories from the Chicago mid perch party and a few other guys breaking off the set screw so I started to do some research on stuck steel fasteners in aluminum. I found some guys on a machinists forum (yea they have one) who were raving about Kano oil. The claim is its 2-3 times more effective than wd40, PB Blaster, etc. Well I can tell you it's true!

u2yzyby6.jpg

Last night I liberally sprayed this all around the shock perch top and bottom. Then today I followed the RPG video and once I exposed the set screw I cleaned around it really good then soaked with Kano for about 10 minutes. Then I used a 1/4 drive 3/32 Allen socket on a short extension, set it fully in place and tapped it with a few hammer strikes. First try with what I'll estimate about 15 lb-ft of torque it broke loose. I sprayed some more Kano then worked it in and out a few times (you could tell there was crap in the threads) then fully out.

I thought I was home free at that point but I had tons and I mean tons of corrosion in a ring around the whole bottom perch setting. No way the perch was moving by hand. I waisted probably an hour and a half figuring out a good way to move it. Best thing turned out to be about a 15" long piece of 1x3 firring strip I had laying around. Holding that firm against the bottom of the perch and smacking from underneath with a BFH while alternating placement of the wood all around the perch ended up moving it a little at a time. It was painstaking. Finally got the drivers side up far enough to push the ring up and snap in place, success!

Upon further review the damn Fox sticker was being pushed up with the perch binding everything up. On the passenger side I used a razor knife and cut a line all the way around the shock about an inch up from the perch then peeled the sticker off. Passenger side was way easier like that. Still had to use the wood/hammer but I was done in about 35 minutes that side. The spring compressors also went on much easier on the side. Seemed like the drivers side spring coils were in a weird position compared to the passenger side.

Anyway, 20 feet down the road I could immediately feel a difference. Love it! Truck feels so much more solid now.

eja6e3ah.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

we buy this stuff by the case on our production side. taking apart rusted ass pumping units sucks. this stuff is wicked on frozen bolts! and it smells like pine sol! lol

khandis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in an apartment building so I don't really have the work space to DIY perch mod.... otherwise I would give it a whirl