Payload SUCKS!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to trucks...usually think they can kinda do anything. I'd expect to be able to throw 5 peeps in the truck, equipment in the back, and be able to ride down a forest road. I think most people nowadays buy vehicles with a large range of ability. That's why SUVs sell like crazy, they can be fast, sporty, off-roady, and take a family with dogs too. I sold my wife on the raptor because it has room for people and pups and we can overland in it. I'm not really disappointed that I can't tow a bunch and pack equipment, but I have read a lot of bad stuff about the stock leafs...Those threads and this thread makes me think Deavers are a must no matter what you're doing. This link helped me understand the different options:

https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/rear-leaf-springs/

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen up Karen - if you took the time to read what I'm trying to accomplish you could clearly see that I'm simply using the vehicle as a truck...not a Super Duty, not a F250, not a dully. I want to load my truck with basic gear and head to camp. A Tacoma can handle what I'm doing with my truck , so can a Ford Ranger. Your acting like I'm pissed because I can't tow a fifth wheel. This is basic stuff EVERY other truck on the market can handle.

Now you look here jimmy joebobaruski....

You get hung up on everyone's exaggeration for effect and miss the point of what they're saying. Try putting weight in a tacoma and tell me it's as good as a raptor. You already said it, you didnt understand the GVWR. So stop pretending like what you're asking of it is something that wasn't shown will be an issue for it's meager payload capacity.

It's got a truck bed, but it's not the half ton truck you think it is compared to a standard half ton. The reason it rides well stock is because the stock suspension is set up for that weight, and not much more. That's called suspension tuning.

OP
OP
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
Nice try, I appreciate the effort but less is more...
Now you look here jimmy joebobaruski....

I think you're the one missing the point. I'm not putting weight in the truck. 1000lbs is nothing, especially when you're talking payload that includes passengers. Me, the wife and 2 teens is more half the payload of this truck. How many times do I have to state I ****** UP AND DIDN"T LOOK AT THE PAYLOAD RATING!!! That's exactly the point. I didn't know I needed to know that the payload was so low it shouldn't be classified as a truck.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F450 is super stiff unloaded. Take a dirt road with that stiff of a rear end and it feels like a solid axle. The reason you want to remove the Timbrens is because they will hit when the suspension flexes and basically limit the travel.

Then perhaps sumo springs would be better?
Because they're shorter than tembren, they'll allow for a bit more travel.

OP
OP
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
I want to give all the geniuses a visual of what they think this truck was not "designed to do". This with ONE passenger is overloaded. You meatheads think I'm crazy for calling out that the payload sucks.
IMG_0937.jpg

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not a truck, it's a toy for bombing around the desert. Off road is boring for passengers, unless you're about to die, so it's designed to have a driver, a jack, and a compressor for payload. The real question is whether it's better to modify the Raptor to increase payload or to modify a F150 to improve it off road ...

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken an empty F350 down the Golden Road. It's comical the first 20 mins then it's painful. My camp is in North Easy Carry at the northern tip of the lake.

Been through there. Beautiful area. Great place to hide from the world...........and fish!

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We know what wood and a passenger looks like. And we also know how much they weigh, but I guess you don't. Or you just go on a test drive and write a check without realizing the key fact here that you bought the wrong truck if that's something you do regularly.

Everyone else here seems to know, the Raptor doesn't have a large payload capacity. We knew that going in to this. That's why people have shown you allllllll the different ways you can make up for that.

OP
OP
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
It's not a truck, it's a toy for bombing around the desert. Off road is boring for passengers, unless you're about to die, so it's designed to have a driver, a jack, and a compressor for payload. The real question is whether it's better to modify the Raptor to increase payload or to modify a F150 to improve it off road ...

This is the best response.