Our Expedition broke for the last time. Will a Raptor be better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FREEZE451

Reaction score
Bought a 2021 with 15k on it, drove it to 75k and the only issue I had was the rear shock bump noise that had a tsb..

Never in the shop once.

I agree with the first statement that sometimes it's the luck of the draw, but love the raptor.

shigman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
but after all this was replaced its been a solid truck aside from the interior being th biggest pile of shit since my 03 F150.
There is some serious luck of the draw going on here. I see some wild @*$# on the corvette forums of endless issues vs zero issues reliable as an old honda civic. Same with the raptor forum.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is some serious luck of the draw going on here. I see some wild @*$# on the corvette forums of endless issues vs zero issues reliable as an old honda civic. Same with the raptor forum.
The 21 tremor I has before the raptor was a lemon. I love my 90s and early 2000s SVT cars but man…. Ford has let me down. I’ve got 2 Jeeps that have given me 0 issues.

shigman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 21 tremor I has before the raptor was a lemon. I love my 90s and early 2000s SVT cars but man…. Ford has let me down. I’ve got 2 Jeeps that have given me 0 issues.
Jeeps have had their issues too, but I’ve also seen people put 250K on them with only the usual stuff (water pump, belts, hoses, alternator)

IamNomad

Reaction score
I had a 2019 Raptor for two years that I put 32,000 miles on with no issues.

I now have a 2023 Raptor with 11,000 miles I bought one year ago also with no issues.

IMO in general a lot of people join forums mostly to complain (excluding us car/truck people who just love sharing our experiences and information).
People that have had no problems with their vehicle don't often post positive buying experiences here for the hell of it.
So don't be too gun shy on buying another Ford. You can find horror stories on the internet for any brand or model.

I have no experience towing with a Raptor but my guess would be it will pull your camper okay although you may experience some rear end sag.
Towing enthusiasts here can advise on air bags/spring options and or weight distribution hitches if it is a problem. Also the payload on a Raptor isn't that high at around 1400lbs. A regular F-150 might have more capacity. I'm not sure how this would compare with your Expedition.

Would you be satisfied with the lesser amount of enclosed interior space the Raptor has compared to your Expedition?
It has a wider interior but obviously no third row. Having a bed means you can haul bigger taller cargo than the Expedition although it's not secure unless you buy a topper or a tonneau cover.

Although resale value fluctuates with new pricing on Raptors, in general Raptors have historically had higher resale value than most other pickups.
If you buy a Raptor and decide it wasn't the best choice, trading it in will be less painful.

The Raptor would be far more fun to drive in my opinion.

OP
OP
ChuckPeazy

ChuckPeazy

Reaction score
I had a 2019 Raptor for two years that I put 32,000 miles on with no issues.

I now have a 2023 Raptor with 11,000 miles I bought one year ago also with no issues.

IMO in general a lot of people join forums mostly to complain (excluding us car/truck people who just love sharing our experiences and information).
People that have had no problems with their vehicle don't often post positive buying experiences here for the hell of it.
So don't be too gun shy on buying another Ford. You can find horror stories on the internet for any brand or model.

I have no experience towing with a Raptor but my guess would be it will pull your camper okay although you may experience some rear end sag.
Towing enthusiasts here can advise on air bags/spring options and or weight distribution hitches if it is a problem. Also the payload on a Raptor isn't that high at around 1400lbs. A regular F-150 might have more capacity. I'm not sure how this would compare with your Expedition.

Would you be satisfied with the lesser amount of enclosed interior space the Raptor has compared to your Expedition?
It has a wider interior but obviously no third row. Having a bed means you can haul bigger taller cargo than the Expedition although it's not secure unless you buy a topper or a tonneau cover.

Although resale value fluctuates with new pricing on Raptors, in general Raptors have historically had higher resale value than most other pickups.
If you buy a Raptor and decide it wasn't the best choice, trading it in will be less painful.

The Raptor would be far more fun to drive in my opinion.

Good thoughts as well. We probably will miss the 3rd row, but we have a 4Runner with a rear cargo area if needed. We ended up taking it camping instead for the last few days since the issues with our expedition.

I understand it’s pretty squishy in the rear, but there are probably some things we could remedy with that.

Still torn on what to replace the expedition with, but it’s going bye bye today.

Attachments

• IMG_7548.jpeg
    IMG_7548.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 16