Our Expedition broke for the last time. Will a Raptor be better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckPeazy

Reaction score
We were on our way to the Black Hills of South Dakota yesterday for a camping trip with our 3 kids. Our 2018 Expedition just had the transmission rebuilt a couple months ago and this was our first time towing with it since the “repair”.

Well, 30 miles into our trip that transmission overheated to 250°+ and most likely busted a seal somewhere causing a smoke show on the highway.

We’re over it, the expedition has been in the shop for various things many times over the 2 years since we’ve owned it. Turns me off of Ford in general if it weren’t for the fact that my dream truck is a Raptor. Has been since Gen 1.

Service manager says he hardly ever sees Raptors in the shop but I know it shares some of the same components as our expedition including the 10R80 transmission.

Can yall offer any insight on if I’m in for another headache thinking about a Gen 3?

IMG_0142.jpeg

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
total luck of the draw IMO... you may get a one without issues, one plagued with small annoying stuff, or a **** you need to lemon law. i feel U.S. manufacturers are still struggling to produce well buttoned up vehicles post covid, whether it be bad qc or suppliers providing ****** components

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
22 37pp Raptor... love my truck but heres my repairs since ownership.

at 5k miles... new transmission... i then went @GooseTuned and the engine and trans has been perfect for 20k miles.
rear bumper needed aligned
hood and lower windshield cowl needed replaced
sync module replaced
accessory module replaced
multiple ... endless... interior fit and finish problems
new front diff
new driver side hub assembly
new front driveshaft
new shocks front and rear

not once have I had to pay for any repair but im over it. Waiting for RHO and will probably make the leap. The last 5-6 months of ownership have just had fit and finish issues.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
21 w/40k miles

Replaced the front right live valve sensor. Exhaust rattle also fixed. No other issues.

Never know for sure when buying a vehicle. I'd say your expo had issues for the previous owner too. Buy new and buy extended warranty.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22 37pp Raptor... love my truck but heres my repairs since ownership.

at 5k miles... new transmission... i then went @GooseTuned and the engine and trans has been perfect for 20k miles.
rear bumper needed aligned
hood and lower windshield cowl needed replaced
sync module replaced
accessory module replaced
multiple ... endless... interior fit and finish problems
new front diff
new driver side hub assembly
new front driveshaft
new shocks front and rear

not once have I had to pay for any repair but im over it. Waiting for RHO and will probably make the leap. The last 5-6 months of ownership have just had fit and finish issues.
Holy crap....most of your drivetrain.

cjhoneyman

Reaction score
I had a 2016 F150 XLT prior to my 2022 Raptor 37PP, neither had any major issues. The Raptor did just get 3 of the 4 live valve shocks replaced, but that was covered under warranty.

Alternatively, we bought my wife an Expedition new in 2020. Drove it up to about 65K miles and the transmission started to slip. Decided that was a good time to upgrade. Traded it in for a 2021 Expedition Limited Max with 20K miles. Transmission blew on it in less than a week. Dealer took it back and we bought a new 2023 Expedition Limited Max Stealth. So far so good transmission wise. Had a couple issues with the liftgate and blind spot awareness system, but overall a very reliable vehicle.

I still believe you can't beat the Expedition vs the competition when you compare quality, performance, and overall bang for your buck. But if I was forced to choose between an Expedition or F150, I'd go F150 all day.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were on our way to the Black Hills of South Dakota yesterday for a camping trip with our 3 kids. Our 2018 Expedition just had the transmission rebuilt a couple months ago and this was our first time towing with it since the “repair”.

Well, 30 miles into our trip that transmission overheated to 250°+ and most likely busted a seal somewhere causing a smoke show on the highway.

We’re over it, the expedition has been in the shop for various things many times over the 2 years since we’ve owned it. Turns me off of Ford in general if it weren’t for the fact that my dream truck is a Raptor. Has been since Gen 1.

Service manager says he hardly ever sees Raptors in the shop but I know it shares some of the same components as our expedition including the 10R80 transmission.

Can yall offer any insight on if I’m in for another headache thinking about a Gen 3?

View attachment 458437
Both my gen 2 and gen 3 ecoboost raptors haven't had transmission over heating issues even when towing 5-6000lbs in the hills. The highest transmission temps Ive ever really seen was 210-215 (maybe touched 220) and that was towing a camper at 65-70 mph in the hill country in Texas on 95 degree warm days.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2016 F150 XLT prior to my 2022 Raptor 37PP, neither had any major issues. The Raptor did just get 3 of the 4 live valve shocks replaced, but that was covered under warranty.

Alternatively, we bought my wife an Expedition new in 2020. Drove it up to about 65K miles and the transmission started to slip. Decided that was a good time to upgrade. Traded it in for a 2021 Expedition Limited Max with 20K miles. Transmission blew on it in less than a week. Dealer took it back and we bought a new 2023 Expedition Limited Max Stealth. So far so good transmission wise. Had a couple issues with the liftgate and blind spot awareness system, but overall a very reliable vehicle.

I still believe you can't beat the Expedition vs the competition when you compare quality, performance, and overall bang for your buck. But if I was forced to choose between an Expedition or F150, I'd go F150 all day.
we also have an expedition. havent had any trans issues besides rough shifts going into 6th under light throttle. but the awd system is making noise and the brakes on them seem to suck pretty bad--first set went in only 30k miles. the suspension was absolute garbage too, had 2 shocks replaced in the first year under warranty as they were leaking. next two started to go right out of warranty. replaced them all with bilstein 5100s

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The raptor is an excellent family vehicle but obviously not great at towing. You camper looks small enough to work fine.

If it is one of your dream cars and you have the chance to get it, get it.