One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towed roughly 275 miles this past weekend and she avg 11.2 mpg on 93oct.

Stang & trailer were right around 5,800lbs (10,000lb WD hitch was used), we had a few hundred pounds of crap in the bed, the AC going the whole time, it was pouring the way there, speed ranged from 50mph to 80mph with some decent hills along the way, and she handled it all like a champ.

I couldn't be happier with how the Raptor did this past weekend. :cheers:

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Averaged 14.8 mpg on my Sunday afternoon jaunt in the Red Desert of Wyoming. Around 250 miles (after fillup) of which around 100 miles was off-road at mostly 50-70 mph. I've been ecstatic with the mileage. Worst tank so far is low 12s on the SDBR. 1700 miles on the engine.

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red Desert? Good stuff there! Had my 04 FX4 North of Rawlins N and E of 9mile tower on my first elk hunt. Pretty fun drive through that country via two track! Would love to hit it again with the Raptor, Especially on the blacktop (HUGE WHOOOOPS) north of 9 mile tower on highway running east/west to F*$&&S Ranch.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best I've gotten 12.1, and Average 11.8, fill up at 1/4 tank every 10 days, 95% city driving.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Red Desert? Good stuff there! Had my 04 FX4 North of Rawlins N and E of 9mile tower on my first elk hunt. Pretty fun drive through that country via two track! Would love to hit it again with the Raptor, Especially on the blacktop (HUGE WHOOOOPS) north of 9 mile tower on highway running east/west to F*$&&S Ranch.

The Red Desert is huge and is just littered with trails (north and south of I80).
I have some pics here:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f113/september-red-desert-killpecker-dune-outing-wyoming-24440/

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could it be the synthetic oil?

I recently changed my oil on my truck myself. I replaced the factory stuff with Mobil1 synthetic and a Mobil1 filter. It was my first time changing my oil myself(got 5 stitches for it too). After a few days, I decided to put 93 octane gas to see how my truck feels with premium fuel. I had always put either 87 or 89. I was amazed to see my MPG go up a full MPG. I now average 14.5mpg around town not babying it. I couldnt believe it. And, it now feels more responsive too. Loving it!:head3:

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the 93 does make a difference. if u look in the manual even the rated hp differs from ocatane. the 411hp is rated on the 93. 14.5mpg around town is very good. i cant get that and ive been running 93 with CAI, cat back, and 5 star tune. i cant stay out of the skinny pedal tho....

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 93 would have some effect on mpg and power.

Probably most of it. You are using a much richer fuel with much more potential energy. Also driving habits might change as you watch that mpg meter on the truck. But who knows the oil might be helping, just hard to see such a large jump over oil. More of an improved energy yield per stroke due to a higher octane content in the fuel you are combusting.

That's my $0.02 but I have no facts to discredit what you think just speculating.

Banned
Reaction score
does the 93 around you have ethanol? premium here does not, thus, better mileage.
lower octane gas pretty much everywhere does have ethanol, and ethanol kills mileage.

that could be another reason.