One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Year: 2012
Cab: Super Crew
Hwy: 17.79
City:
Combined: 17.79
Best Tank range: 596 miles and took 33.5 gallons to fill.

Drove a brand new Raptor from Kentucky to Maryland. Filled up at the dealer and filled up when it got home.

I drive easy around town; I get around 8.6…
I go down the freeway around 70/75 and get around 13.5…
How the hell do you get almost 18MPG!???

RottenKid

Reaction score
I can 'hyper-mile' my 2012 SuperCrew between work, the gym, and the store on roads rated 30-40 mph pretty much right at the speed limit for 15.6 mpg avg. Normal driving though I'm around 13.3. Get outta the way bluehair!

17.9 on the freeway sounds entirely possible to me if driving with a light foot. Haven't paid much attention on the freeway.

jolsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonna see what kind of mpg i can get this weekend. goin to delaware, its about a 4 1/2-5 hour ride. gonna switch to my econo tune and i will have my kids with me so i will ***** foot it. i wanna see what i can squeeze outta it.

ok so anyone have any snake oils actually help mpg??
this might be a trip worth using them if they work. i have used lucas injector cleaner on other vehicles and gained a little mpg but i noticed it only really effected higher mileage ones. might throw some lucas or MMO in the raptor for the trip unless some one has something better.

Find some ethanol free fuel and gain 1 mpg.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score

All you gotta do is air up to 60 psi, find a steep downhill section with a good tailwind at your back, get up to speed and let off the gas, THEN push your mpg reset button.

That's how you can get 18mpg.

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ pretty much lol, rockin just under 13 mpg but Im happy, like anyone will say didnt buy this for the fuel econ, best I got was on my way home from Chillicothe I got 15.8 I was most excited, never seen that again tho lol

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've reset my MPG and traveled downhill barely touching the gas and have never gotten over 16.5 MPG on the average instant MPG reading.

I have a very hard time believing anyone is getting close to that gas mileage. It's either a defective gauge, an anomaly, or the first miracle witnessed on Earth in a very long time.

My (3) Ford Expeditions were much more gas efficient and my average was 13.8 MPG.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
way better mileage with

I just got back from Flagstaff, Az. a 100 mile trip from my home in Payson. I've been running an 87stock and 87 performance/tow tune in my 2010 5.4.
I ususally consistently get around 13 to 14 miles per gallon.
Today I put half a tank of Premium (91 Octane) in the truck when I got there as I want to switch to the 91 perf/tow tune to see what it does.
when I filled up I reset mileage meter. I noticed a huge difference right away. The mileage went up to 17.5 at the highest point on the drive home. I did not change my driving habit from what I always do. I'm not a speed demon but in these mtn roads I do not wait behind slow cars if I can get around them. Usually speeds of 60-70. Mostly cruise control if able. The average mileage looked to be in the 16+ range. So now I'm wondering what an 89 octane tune would do since I mixed half 91 with 87. I'm also wondering why such a huge jump in the mileage with running half tank 91 mixed with 87. I know that not having the 10%E in the gas does help a lot in performance. I'm hoping it stays this way. I'm headed down to Phoenix tomorrow and will see if I get better mileage as I drop in elevation.
I'll fill up with premium tomorrow to run home with and see what happens.
Anyone else experience this?

UniqueOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, I drove 55-60 mph from KY to MD. I would say I drove very conservative since it is a new truck. I used cruise control most of the time. It was on Sunday as well. There was no traffic. I got about 13.5 mpg around town. I have not filled up yet since I got back from KY. So I don't have the actual mpg but the display.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The display always jumps your gas mileage way up when it is reset. After running around town, on the highway, and short and long trips the MPG drops way back down to your actual MPG.

I run the same trip to and from work every day. When I reset the MPG display, I will get 13-14 MPG for the first couple of days. But it always settles back down to 11.5 MPG after several days.

I try very hard to get better gas mileage, but I accept the Raptor for what it is...