Octane Poll

What octane for the Raptor

• Less than 87

• Higher than 93

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truly asking because I’m not very knowledgeable on this. Why are the HP numbers higher with a E85 tune? Also, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen @GooseTuned mention it’s safe to add a couple (?) gallons of E85 to a regular tank for some added performance (without needing to tune for it).
Per my reading/experience, ethanol handles detonation better than gas (can run a higher compression ratio or more advanced timing = more HPs). The price for this is ehanol has ~1/3 less energy/volune than gas, so the MPGs will be correspondingly less. Plus as stated in the reference, ethanol has other negatives.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never understand some of the logic reg: price between 87 and 91.
It's at MOST, regardless of market conditions, .30 cents between 87 and 91. That's $10.80 assuming you are empty and it's a .30 cent delta.
Here in CA it's .15 cents at the Shell by my house with makes it an additional $5.40 more for a complete fill up.

It's a twin turbo performance motor. If you want to cut costs, don't spend $90K on a truck.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's at MOST, regardless of market conditions, .30 cents between 87 and 91. That's $10.80 assuming you are empty and it's a .30 cent delta.
Here in CA it's .15 cents at the Shell by my house with makes it an additional $5.40 more for a complete fill up.

It's a twin turbo performance motor. If you want to cut costs, don't spend $90K on a truck.
It’s a performance motor that I putt around in as a daily driver. If I go somewhere to have fun with it, I’ll add in that premium fuel for the extra zoom zooms. It’s made to work with 87 so it’s not like a trx that REQUIRES premium fuel. The difference in 87 vs 93 today in my neck of the woods Illinois is 78 cents cheapest option vs cheapest option.

77Raptor

Reaction score

It clearly must depend on where you're located. Around here (south of Charlotte, NC, right on the NC/SC border) 87 is currently $3.39 at the two stations I usually go to (Shell and QT). 93 (no 91 around here) is currently $3.89 at both, so 50 cents more per gallon. The non-ethanol 87 is the same price as the premium. So it can potentially be an almost $20 increase in the cost of a tank of gas. Some areas are more than that, as seen in the reply above this one. So I can see why some people might not want to pay that extra cost, especially if the truck is a daily driver for them.

DougDimmadome

Full Access Member
Reaction score

93 is around 75 cents more in my area.IMG_0681.png