No boost!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moetor

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I’ve been having this issue twice now
Suddenly after normal driving, a “service vehicle soon” message appears, and upon full throttle, no boost at all.
After restarting the power cycle, it gets back to normal!

Any clue?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Your getting into limp mode for whatever reason. The “no boost” is normal when that happens.

Explain “normal driving” and what you were doing before that “normal driving”. A burnout or similar WOT shenanigans?

OP
OP
M

Moetor

Reaction score
Your getting into limp mode for whatever reason. The “no boost” is normal when that happens.

Explain “normal driving” and what you were doing before that “normal driving”. A burnout or similar WOT shenanigans?
Nah nothing like that, was doing groceries in a nearby market, max speed was about 55mph, but outside temp was around 110F, this what happened today.

The first time it happened it was kinda different, I was just driving around for a long period of time (around 3 hours non-stop)

TwizzleStix

Reaction score
So, no codes or other faults reported? The intake/manifold air temps were likely high enough to drop the Load allowed so low the “boost” allowed was near ambient pressure. People(?) usually don't understand what it takes to get serious power out of a small displacement engine AND it be reliable at that power level. The ECU, or PCM as Ford calls it, MUST protect the engine from the driver so it won’t allow you to hurt it.

That said, an inaccurate sensor could cause unneeded limitations, but they (sensors) usually fail open/short, so if it is dirty or otherwise contaminated it may be “wrong”, but not failed.

OP
OP
M

Moetor

Reaction score
So, no codes or other faults reported? The intake/manifold air temps were likely high enough to drop the Load allowed so low the “boost” allowed was near ambient pressure. People(?) usually don't understand what it takes to get serious power out of a small displacement engine AND it be reliable at that power level. The ECU, or PCM as Ford calls it, MUST protect the engine from the driver so it won’t allow you to hurt it.

That said, an inaccurate sensor could cause unneeded limitations, but they (sensors) usually fail open/short, so if it is dirty or otherwise contaminated it may be “wrong”, but not failed.
No other codes apart from the dashboard notification.
The first time it happened air charge temp was 55C.

I believe it’s something in the sensors or so on, since its running perfectly all the time apart from these two episodes..

TwizzleStix

Reaction score
No other codes apart from the dashboard notification.
The first time it happened air charge temp was 55C.

I believe it’s something in the sensors or so on, since its running perfectly all the time apart from these two episodes..

I believe what you're having is normal. 55C is 131F and there is a huge designed drop in power at 140F. I believe you're seeing normal limitations. Move somewhere cooler, get a bigger intercooler, AND switch to a higher E-blend fuel.

OP
OP
M

Moetor

Reaction score
I believe what you're having is normal. 55C is 131F and there is a huge designed drop in power at 140F. I believe you're seeing normal limitations. Move somewhere cooler, get a bigger intercooler, AND switch to a higher E-blend fuel.
Just went to the dealership, apparently there’s some issue in the turbocharger which mandates a new turbos..
No further details just waiting for the full report..
Still hoping that they find minor damage other than the whole turbo..