Need steering rack adjustment tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
are you chasing slop in the steering wheel?
After tightening my rack slop, i discovered a leak so just replaced the rack . Guess what, still had some slop!!
Turns out most of my back and forth steering wheel slop was actually the steering shaft... For F-Sakes!!
The shaft has a collapsible slide with Teflon bushing where the 2 parts slide in and out.. Was completely worn out.

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you chasing slop in the steering wheel?
After tightening my rack slop, i discovered a leak so just replaced the rack . Guess what, still had some slop!!
Turns out most of my back and forth steering wheel slop was actually the steering shaft... For F-Sakes!!
The shaft has a collapsible slide with Teflon bushing where the 2 parts slide in and out.. Was completely worn out.
History and update on this:
I was going down a neighbors driveway, which was a lot of hard gravel rocks and rough but small potholes, and I just felt it ALL through the steering column. I could feel some of it as "play" in the steering wheel, my hand was holding firm, but you felt slop underneath, if that makes any sense. I checked the tie rods and the rack, and I had no play there.
So, I made the adjustments and didn't feel it helped. However, I went back and re-adjusted again and I think it made a slight improvement in steering feel.
I think you are correct, that the play has to be in the shaft itself.
If I have my truck off, I can shake the steering wheel back and forth and hear an audbile "clank" noise. After tightening the "slack" in the gear box, I still hear the noise, but it is less audible.
I had some older chevy trucks that I had to replace the intermediate steering shaft to fix steering wheel clunk... I might look into replacing the steering shaft components, to see if that alleviates the issue, like you mentioned.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the shaft is cheap-ish.
I thought I got mine for just over a $100 a couple years ago.
Google steering shaft for your year and there will be options.
I still think there should be a roll pin securing the 2 halves. After a couple off-road excursions you can feel a little give in the Teflon bushing.

1678303088911.png

Reaction score
the shaft is cheap-ish.
I thought I got mine for just over a $100 a couple years ago.
Google steering shaft for your year and there will be options.
I still think there should be a roll pin securing the 2 halves. After a couple off-road excursions you can feel a little give in the Teflon bushing.

View attachment 396611
I feel like at this point cant you get one that is just a straight rod? or does this part allow the telescoping feature of the wheel?

n204life

Reaction score
Same issue here I'm chasing down. Adjusted the rack and pinion tension spring to just where it bottomed out and it made little change. Still have slop. When I rotate the steering shaft by hand in the engine bay it seems from steering wheel to rack and pinion input shaft is 1:1. I can swear all my slop left to right is rotating at the r/p input shaft.
Wouldn't you be able to see the wear if your rotating the steering shaft by hand? Like if you shake quickly back and forth your see a wear point and essentially a clunk right? If the steering shaft u joints were bad you'd see it right by shaking?
I got to get a handle on this cause my bump steer is dangerous sometimes.