Need steering rack adjustment tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would do it, albeit a lot of grinding. That bit is a monster haha! The issue is the space between that 27mm hex hole and (best I remember) the front diff, there's barely enough room to get a tool in there...

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would do it, albeit a lot of grinding. That bit is a monster haha! The issue is the space between that 27mm hex hole and (best I remember) the front diff, there's barely enough room to get a tool in there...
I just hope it’s not made out of something like tungsten carbide! . I’ll just have the exhaust shop use their cutting wheel and estimate a start point and grind it from there.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just hope it’s not made out of something like tungsten carbide! . I’ll just have the exhaust shop use their cutting wheel and estimate a start point and grind it from there.
this is what i did. a cheap harbor freight socket and a few min with my bench grinderIMG_20230221_203121.jpgIMG_20230221_203139.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get that between the cross member and the gear box without unbolting the mount bolts?
yeah. i stuck it in first then got the serpentine belt tool with a 1/2 drive and put it in the socket and was able to make the adjustment. its a tight fit thats why the serpentine belt too works well. a standard ratchet probably wont fit.

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5D13544F-896B-4ED3-BBB9-B57824365335.jpeg
Got my tool in today, I think I’m going to have my exhaust shop cut the tool right on the “7” and start there, I’ll adjust if necessary. Hopefully the swivel wrench comes in today on the UPS truck and I can try this tonight.

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind on tonight… looks like the post office sent it to another town, after it got to my town?! I hate USPS sometimes…

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, this did not end up having the desired effect I was hoping for.

I got the tool shaved down to fit, got it and a wrench up in there and tightened it. But I didn’t have much to tighten before it started to get tight (1/8 of a turn total, so I backed it off slightly and took a test drive. The wheel felt a little better, but it also felt too tight. I backed it back a little more and it now feels the same as when I started.

I usually use my yearly bonus to do something for myself. Tossing up the idea of just overhauling the front suspension and rear shocks.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks but it was worth a try. How many miles on it? Mine had like 152k and was rode hard and put up wet, had to replace inner & outer tie rods, lower ball joints, upper control arms, rebuilt the shocks, etc. Luckily didn't need a rack but they aren't too bad on rockauto last time I looked, like $400-500 exchange. And mine's leaking so I'll have to swap it out eventually...

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks but it was worth a try. How many miles on it? Mine had like 152k and was rode hard and put up wet, had to replace inner & outer tie rods, lower ball joints, upper control arms, rebuilt the shocks, etc. Luckily didn't need a rack but they aren't too bad on rockauto last time I looked, like $400-500 exchange. And mine's leaking so I'll have to swap it out eventually...
143k… but it wasn’t abused or ran off-road. I actually don’t have worn suspension that I can tell, but I don’t know the history on the shocks at all and don’t really know what a bad fox shock feels like… I just figured if I went ahead and swapped it all out, I would know it’s all new, you know?