moonroof or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard call, mine has it, but I did not order it as it was already sitting on the lot. I always said I would leave it off if I ordered it, for the usual reasons, leak, fail, cost, etc.
However that being said, I like having it. It seems to me, just my 2 cents, that most loaded and expensive automobiles have it. Like others have said, if you are getting all the bells and whistles, kinda gotta add it to make it all complete. Either way, enjoy the new ride!!!!

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a moonroof and I'm a huge fan of it. More light, great ventilation, and makes the cab feel bigger (less closed in, if that makes sense).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine without one, but after reading Geo_Tactical's post, I just added it to my order. I hate the idea of having one because it seems out of place, but thinking back to times when I sat/drove in vehicles that had them, it does make the cabin feel a bit more hospitable during the day.

WannaRaptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely order without if I end up ordering a new Raptor. Read some of the 2015+ F150 forums about the dual pane roofs. Tons of people with creaking and crunching noises, leaks and misalignment issues. This will only be worse with a Raptor being exposed to more extreme conditions offroad.

noblesramair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say if its used off road often i'd go without but mine won't be going off road very often so I got it even though I won't open it often its still nice to have.

D

Deleted member 12951

A gopro mounts on top of the glass better than the metal roof and you can close the safety string on it. Changing batteries easier too, open the moonroof and grab it.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never used a moon roof in my 20+ years of driving. If I order new, it's without. I can find much better things to spend $1200 on.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife's Edge Sport has the Panoramic roof. It's one of the reasons I ordered it on my Raptor. While I hardly ever open it in my wife's car, having the sun screen open lets a lot of light in, which is nice. Plus, when the weather is really nice, it opens up bigger than any other moon roof I've seen.

The argument of rigidity doesn't hold up the same as it did in the old days. Modern vehicle construction utilizes a safety cage design. 99% of your strength is along the perimeter of the cab.

The upsides are:
lets in additional light
lets in fresh air
easy access to roof
added resale value

The downsides are:
cost to purchase
cost to repairs (and it will need repairs at some point)
cost to replace (if you break it)
added weight

So if the upsides outweigh the downsides for you, then go for it.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I wrote in the other identical thread -

Reasons against -

1. Quieter
2. Less heat gain/loss
3. More headroom
4. Less to go wrong/rattle/leak
5. Lighter
6. More structurally sound
7. Cheaper

Reasons for:

1. It's a damned cool moonroof

I've sat in a 2016 both with and without. The sunroof is cool, but by no means does the cab without feel like a cave.

Maybe I'm snakebit with sunroofs, but of the four cars I've had with them, two have been trouble. Leaks and rattles, especially rattles. It just seems to me that if so many people are having those two issues with their regular F150s just driving around town, there's no way I'm going to luck out and not have them when running the truck down gravel roads.

Last edited: