Stationary moonroof glass seal separation??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply!!! Oh ok, did dealer do job in 1 day or like within a week? Any leakage or issues??
Thanks Anthony
I believe I took it in to be “diagnosed” and then took it back in once the replacement parts were in. Actual repair was 1 day, picked it up next morning. No leakage or issues since.

Here’s a photo of mine. Not the greatest photo, but problem looks exactly like your photos. Looks like exact same spot too (drivers side). I’m guessing the installation method at the factory didn’t work well with the original seal.
IMG_2408.jpeg

Last edited:

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On these trucks it involves removal of the entire sunroof (headliner, and both pieces of glass) and is NOT just cosmetic. I was fully expecting to have issues after the repair but going on almost 2 years and all is good. New sreal looks exactly as you’d expect it to with no gaps.
This isn't correct. the headliner DOES NOT need to be remove. there are hex bolt that are removed that will allow the glass to be lifted out that are visible and accessible with the shade open.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I took it in to be “diagnosed” and then took it back in once the replacement parts were in. Actual repair was 1 day, picked it up next morning. No leakage or issues since.

Here’s a photo of mine. Not the greatest photo, but problem looks exactly like your photos. Looks like exact same spot too (drivers side). I’m guessing the installation method at the factory didn’t work well with the original seal.
View attachment 450391
Hey JM, thanks for reply and pic. Yes, thats def my scenario via pic, but mine is worse. I wish this was something i could fix as i hate bringing back to dealer. But its def not... I sort've figured 2 day deal, w diagnosing and fixing.
Thanks Anthony

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isn't correct. the headliner DOES NOT need to be remove. there are hex bolt that are removed that will allow the glass to be lifted out that are visible and accessible with the shade open.
Thanks Don for reply! I am going to check later for bolts. How does it seperate from the front glass??
Anthony

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Don for reply! I am going to check later for bolts. How does it seperate from the front glass??
Anthony
The bolts for the rear screw into the cab itself. the front mounts to a bracket and you need to remove the accordion trim to see them. pull it off parallel to the glass, don't pull down towards the seats

The trim is actually really easy to replace, especially if it on the panel that moves since you can just open it and stand up. the rear panel is even easer to remove. You need to put a couple of thick towels on the front panel, unscrew the bolts and then push up off the weatherproof seal and place it slowly on the towels. You don't need someone to help you since it wont fall into the truck.

You can see the seal that the unroof rests on to prevent water intrusion for both the front at rear panels when the glass is open.

You can replace the trim really easy. The only thing I don't remember is what the adhesive they use for it.

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolts for the rear screw into the cab itself. the front mounts to a bracket and you need to remove the accordion trim to see them. pull it off parallel to the glass, don't pull down towards the seats

The trim is actually really easy to replace, especially if it on the panel that moves since you can just open it and stand up. the rear panel is even easer to remove. You need to put a couple of thick towels on the front panel, unscrew the bolts and then push up off the weatherproof seal and place it slowly on the towels. You don't need someone to help you since it wont fall into the truck.

You can see the seal that the unroof rests on to prevent water intrusion for both the front at rear panels when the glass is open.

You can replace the trim really easy. The only thing I don't remember is what the adhesive they use for it.
Hi Don,

I checked it last night and seen the rear bolts that hold it to cab and understand the scenario. I was thinking about popping off those plastic covers soon and lubing up the plastic bracketry if possible.. I'm thinking the only reason these roofs break is due to no lubrication at joints and faulty seals from factory, hence my problem w seal. I am going to bring it to dealer in next few weeks as i don't want to deal with this.
Thanks as awlays for your help!
Anthony

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Don,

I checked it last night and seen the rear bolts that hold it to cab and understand the scenario. I was thinking about popping off those plastic covers soon and lubing up the plastic bracketry if possible.. I'm thinking the only reason these roofs break is due to no lubrication at joints and faulty seals from factory, hence my problem w seal. I am going to bring it to dealer in next few weeks as i don't want to deal with this.
Thanks as awlays for your help!
Anthony
So. Lots to unpack here.

You don't need to pop off the covers to lub the track for the glass. You simply need to open it up and lube the track. Cycle it open and close it 3-5 times. While it's open, put some lube on your finger and run it around the outside of the moonroof on the rubber trim focusing on the side where the two glass panels meet.

The roof only breaks when the plastic brackets break from lack of lubricant or there is so much dirt between the moonroof glass and the glass panel that it sticks closed. That's why it's recommended to open to vent and then opening the roof.

The rubber trim around the glass is 100% cosmetic. It provides no waterproofing. That is why there are drain holes UNDER the glass between the body and the actual seals. It's to make the gap between the glass and body closer since you don't want glass touching the body. You can see the actual waterproofing when you open the moonroof. The seals are what the glass sits on, not what's around the outside of the glass. You have no issues or problem with your glass trim. it's cosmetic. When people say their roof leaks, it's 100% from clogged drains or pinched drains from when they were installed. It has nothing to do with the rubber trim surrounding the glass.

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So. Lots to unpack here.

You don't need to pop off the covers to lub the track for the glass.
Hey, Thanks for filling me in w all these great tips and visiuals. Appreciate it!!!
I meant lube the plastic arms behind both accordian plastic covers, sides to keep them lubricated. Not the tracks. But obviously i would do tracks as well.