Mods you wish you never did

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Got a friend who totaled his first Raptor because of the Pedal Commander (he's the guy you hear about at Raptor Assault).

So, it would be more accurate to say your friend totaled his first Raptor by misusing the pedal commander’s settings and not controlling his truck, wouldn’t it?

I totally don’t get the description. He was stopped but foot off the brake?
somehow, he sneezed and hit the accelerator, while stopped?

I do understand that description of the P/C though. As you get higher in the settings, the throttle becomes more and more of a “binary switch”. I don’t think I ever got past sport +1 or 2 on the PC and it was way, way, way too touchy even in normal mode, which is saying something because in ‘normal’ the Raptor is the laziest vehicle I’ve ever driven. As FTO has explained, it’s basically “eco mode” from the standard F150.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it would be more accurate to say your friend totaled his first Raptor by misusing the pedal commander’s settings and not controlling his truck, wouldn’t it?

I do understand that description of the P/C though. As you get higher in the settings, the throttle becomes more and more of a “binary switch”. I don’t think I ever got past sport +1 or 2 on the PC and it was way, way, way too touchy even in normal mode, which is saying something because in ‘normal’ the Raptor is the laziest vehicle I’ve ever driven. As FTO has explained, it’s basically “eco mode” from the standard F150.

It does sound like there's some other factors involved in that incident. I sneeze, violently and loud, that the owner of the company i work for sends a company wide email about covid rules whenever i sneeze at work.

I'm on pedal setting "6" on my cobb AP and i still think its not responsive enough with a 91ACN custom tune.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

He sneezed, slipped off the brake and 'brushed' the throttle, as it was told to me. Not sure how you can assert he was 'misusing' the pedal commander's settings - he just had it set to his preferred settings. Yeah, obviously it was unsafe - a good argument against the PC. Yes, part of it was user error, but it wouldn't have happened without the Pedal Commander.

The guy is a good driver, one of the fastest (if not the fastest) around our local track. He does have a tendency to overdrive his truck, even with his substantial mods, but he's never wrecked/crashed a Raptor outside of the above instance.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does sound like there's some other factors involved in that incident. I sneeze, violently and loud, that the owner of the company i work for sends a company wide email about covid rules whenever i sneeze at work.

I'm on pedal setting "6" on my cobb AP and i still think its not responsive enough with a 91ACN custom tune.

7 is my setting and it’s just right in my opinion. I’m in 93 though. A stock Raptor in normal mode is definitely a grandpa truck. I can’t believe how much it sucked before the tune.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7 is my setting and it’s just right in my opinion. I’m in 93 though. A stock Raptor in normal mode is definitely a grandpa truck. I can’t believe how much it sucked before the tune.

I'm riding on 37s and now with an e50 tune. I'd say it feels like how the stock truck felt. But now it drinks gas like a thirsty pirate. Still a little laggy at times with the shifting so I might try setting "7" in the accelerator setting and see if it'll be better.

Regearing to 4.56 (mostly drive highway) is in the near future to see if I can get the extra pep and benefits of the IC and ethanol tune.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
ot sure how you can assert he was 'misusing' the pedal commander's settings - he just had it set to his preferred settings. Yeah, obviously it was unsafe - a good argument against the PC. Yes, part of it was user error, but it wouldn't have happened without the Pedal Commander.

If you look at their description via the map, all of the race settings are a very steep climb on the throttle response signal graph. It’s about as close to ‘binary’ as you can get. Now, in normal mode, where Ford’s throttle mapping is essentially an “eco mode”, non linear throttle mapping, it’s not as severe, but in any off road mode the Rap has a more linear throttle, so now the PC is amping up a linear throttle setting and it’s even more severe.

It’s a poor craftsman who blames the tool.

The guy is a good driver, one of the fastest (if not the fastest) around our local track. He does have a tendency to overdrive his truck, even with his substantial mods, but he's never wrecked/crashed a Raptor outside of the above instance.

so, his foot slipped off the brake, hit the gas and Mr. Good Driver wrecked his Raptor and it’s the pedal commander’s fault. Got it.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you look at their description via the map, all of the race settings are a very steep climb on the throttle response signal graph. It’s about as close to ‘binary’ as you can get. Now, in normal mode, where Ford’s throttle mapping is essentially an “eco mode”, non linear throttle mapping, it’s not as severe, but in any off road mode the Rap has a more linear throttle, so now the PC is amping up a linear throttle setting and it’s even more severe.

It’s a poor craftsman who blames the tool.

so, his foot slipped off the brake, hit the gas and Mr. Good Driver wrecked his Raptor and it’s the pedal commander’s fault. Got it.

ok you're right. It wasn't PC's fault. It was the drivers fault for having such a stupid device on the truck. Better?

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, my 2020 is my 3rd Raptor. On each I put the bumper pocket lights. I should've spent the 1200 bucks on a good ******.

A tonneau cover IMHO is a must, but having dropped close to 2 grand on the Diamondback Cover, a cover I will never place anything on top of, a cover that makes it difficult to put anything in the bed, much less take out, I wouldn't have gone that route. It does look kinda cool though.

I bought a Pedal Commander for my first Raptor and installed it. I didn't care for it. Anyone who says it help eliminate the turbo lag is, well, an idiot. And wrong. It collects dust in my closet.

I bought at first the CF stickers for the door pillars, then spent the money on the real thing. Waste of money.

I bought the CF hood vent and side vents from @EL Snagadore and do not regret that one iota. High quality, love them.

I put the high quality lug nuts on. Glad I did.

I'm done.

Last edited: